BT Broad 15Gb Transfer Limit, A getout clause

joethebow 20:49 20 Sep 04

Did you sign up for broadband with BT just before they announced the download limit of 15Gb starting in January? If so you don't have to keep the contract for the minimum period of 12 months. I found this clause in their Terms and conditions:

[i]33. If we have made a change to your significant disadvantage, you will not have to pay rental charges for the remainder of the minimum period if you decide to end this agreement early[/i].

I have just sent them an email pointing this out and telling them I transfer 15Gb every three days. I told them I will be terminating my contract the day the limit is imposed, 5 months early.

I await their reply and will let you know the outcome.

Forum Editor 21:55 20 Sep 04

That's a pretty hefty amount of bandwidth you're consuming there - I would imagine they'll be delighted to see you opt out.

CurlyWhirly 22:12 20 Sep 04

In your above comment do you mean that the more bandwidth customers use the more they pay BT?
Also as I am with AOL and as you know it is an unmetered service do you think that in the future they will bring in caps like some of the other ISP's?
CW

Forum Editor 23:13 20 Sep 04

No, I didn't mean that. Most broadband ISPs would prefer to have no bandwidth capping, but the cold, hard reality is that some people (and I'm not referring to you joethebow) feel that it's fine to sit on a broadband connection all day every day downloading and uploading illegal music and video files.

These people are not only taking other peoples' music and films without paying for them, they're hogging bandwidth that could be used by the rest of us, and it's getting worse. That's why companies like BT have been pushed into a situation where they have to impose limits. Not all high bandwidth users are P2P music thieves of course, but the majority are. We're talking about home users here remember - show me 100 people who transfer five gigabytes of data each day and I'll show you 99 illegal P2P downloaders.

Available bandwidth is finite - all broadband users eat at the same table in that respect - and a greedy minority is taking more than its fair share. It's BTs' fault of course, they didn't realise what would happen. Now they have, and they're doing something about it.

Simon_P 23:46 20 Sep 04

I doubt that much but really have no idea how much I use.

Not as much as that I think! General surfing, downloading virus deff's etc, the odd small program, and upload maybe 20 meg a week to my site and in e-mails. The odd large program (free trial) if it is something that I think I might want to buy once or twice a year, and maybe the odd 4-5 meg sample image file from a digi cam site.

Daily internet cache is 150-250MB so not even close to 15 GB I think

gettingonabit 09:53 21 Sep 04

Let's see ...

512kbps = 512,000*60*60*24/8/1024/1024/1024 = 5.15 GB per day maximum download assuming no overhead and perfect transmission every time.

What exactly ARE you downloading, joethebow? Do you actually sleep or have you discovered the secret of everlasting youth and vitality? Can we all have a bit, please?

<G>

joethebow 22:26 21 Sep 04

1. Before I signed with BT I asked about download limits. 'No we do not have any download limits', they told me. No, not at the time but they imposed them less than 4 weeks later.

2. Before they signed up people they should have made sure they had enough bandwidth to cope. When 56K networks first appeared the ISP's did exactly the same. The result was that we had transfer rates of around 5Kb for months untill they sorted themselves out. They don't learn.

3. If P2P is illegal why are there so many P2P networks operating.

4. I use Bit Torrent to download Vidoes which I watch and then discard.

5. I don't feel in the least sorry for the poor Recording or Film industry, they have been riping us off for years. I have a collection of in excess of 500 CD's each of which cost the industry around 50p to make, so why did I have to pay over £10 each for them? I have around 200 Videos and even more DVD's, all bought and paid for through the nose. If they sold their goods at reasonable prices then there would be no need for file sharing. p.s. Why does a CD cost nearly twice as much in the UK than it does in Germany or the US?

CurlyWhirly 22:34 21 Sep 04

3. If P2P is illegal why are there so many P2P networks operating?

Because it is very difficult to police as these networks don't have a central servere like the original Napster.
CW

Forum Editor 23:47 21 Sep 04

So much rubbish it's difficult to know where to begin.

1. "Before they signed up people they should have made sure they had enough bandwidth to cope". Well they would have enough to cope....if it wasn't for copyright thieves like you.

2. "If P2P is illegal why are there so many P2P networks operating" Because there are lots of people like you - people who think it's OK to steal something because they want it, instead of paying for it like the rest of us.

3. "I have a collection of in excess of 500 CD's each of which cost the industry around 50p to make" Quite where you get that figure from is beyond me - it's certainly not based on any knowledge of the facts. CD's have to be recorded in expensive studios run by expensive sound engineers. The session musicians have to be paid, and so do the people who design the cover, and the publicity material. Then there are the printers, jewel-case manufacturers, people who run the duplicators that make the copies, and the transport companies who distribute the CDs.

The shops which sell the CDs have to add a markup, and then, finally, when you buy the product the originators of the material - the people who wrote the music and the singers who sang it have to get their percentage. Oh yes, and there's the music publishing company which puts all of this together and administers the whole thing - they get their cut as well.

If you think that all this adds up to 50p a CD you're barking mad.

The price differential question is valid - there's no earthly reason that I can think of why a CD should cost more here than in Germany, but that's no excuse whatsoever for stealing music and the fact that you happily admit that you're doing it on a grand scale is a disgrace. It's perfectly OK to disagree with laws, or to disapprove of the way a business prices its goods but you don't resolve the problem by thieving. You don't have some kind of god-given right to have the music or the films - if you don't want to pay for music then don't buy it.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…