BSkyB Service

laurie53 15:03 31 Jan 07

My local ITV region has just introduced an even more local news service.

Unfortunately, I can't watch it as Sky does not believe I live in this area at all, so I get the news from a different area.

While fishermen from two streets away are being drowned at sea, I get the pontificating of local politicians on a transport strategy for some city 100 miles away!

OK, so in fact I do get to watch it, on terrestrial, but that will stop in a few years. How does Sky get off with deciding which area local TV companies cover? Isn't this decided when the franchise is awarded?

No, I can't get cable – if I could I would have changed years ago (I can't get the much hyped Sky Broadband either, but that's another rant altogether!).

Yet another example of the frustrations of a lack of true competition for BSkyB

Laurie

Aargh 15:10 31 Jan 07

Sky regional news channels are 971 thru 993 - can you find local news you like there?

MichelleC 15:17 31 Jan 07

I gave up Sky after finding all their channels constantly repeating the same progs over and over. On top of that there always seems to be constant advertising; and the way their advert intermissions are structured seems you'll be watching ads four or five times per hour, whereas with terrestrial tv it's only three to four.

The authorities are looking into Sky's aquisition of 20% of ITV shares. They bought these in a business-type manaevoure to prevent Richard Branson et al from producing a viable competitor for Sky.

I think competion is quite healthy and would have benefited all of us by improving the quality on their broadcasts.

rodriguez 16:44 31 Jan 07

Press Services, 4 for System Setup then 4 again for Add Channels.

For Anglia (South), Anglia (West), Tyne Tees (North), Tyne Tees (South)

Frequency: 10714
Polarisation: H
Symbol Rate: 22.0
FEC: 5/6

When the list comes up, highlight the channel(s) you want and press the yellow button to tick them then press Select to store. To watch them, press Services and then 6 for Other Channels and select the one you want. The rest of the ITV regions are:

Anglia (North), Central (West), Granada, London

Frequency: 10758
Polarisation: V

Border (North), Central (East), Central (South), ITV1 Wales, ITV1 West, West Country (South)

Frequency: 10832

Border Scotland (South), Meridian (South), Meridian (South East), Meridian (Sussex), Meridian (Thames Valley), Yorkshire (East), Yorkshire (North)

Frequency: 10891

Channel Islands, Scottish (East), Scottish (West), Grampian, UTV

Frequency: 10906
Polarisation: V

laurie53 17:53 31 Jan 07

Thanks ewverybody, I should have mentioned that I do know about "Other Channels". However I'm often not in by 6.00pm and would like to be able to time shift with Sky+, like I can with all other programmes, but which of course you can't do with "Other Channels"

Besides, why should I have to? Sky should provide my local service.

For Aargh - the channels you qupote are BBC outputs. I did mention that it was an ITV station I was hoping to see. In any event, I am in Scotland, and the BBC do not provide any regional TV news output here; the local politicians are 300 miles away!

Laurie

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…