Browsing a store - is it no longer an option?

Graham* 10:33 AM 20 Mar 13

I like to look round a shop for the things I'm interested in. Look at them and their prices. I can't do that now because I get swooped on.

An example:

I'm in the market for a recliner chair. I go to my nearest HSL. I explain I would like to browse. That's OK, just ask if you need help.

I'm then followed round the shop, an assistant fluffing the cushions, explaining they are available in a range of widths. Another asking if I wanted tea or coffee.

I left.

Chronos the 2nd 10:44 AM 20 Mar 13

I am the complete opposite as I cannot remember the last time I browsed a high street store I tend to buy everything on line these days.

But to your point yes I suspect it can be annoying but most of these sales people in this type of store and correct me if I am wrong, work on a poor basic salary with it being made up by commission. So I suppose you can understand not wanting to let a potential customer out of there sights.

sunnypete 10:49 AM 20 Mar 13

They are just trying to be helpful in the present difficult trading conditions.I would have accepted the coffee offer...

fourm member 10:49 AM 20 Mar 13

I think Chronos the 2nd has it right. Plus, the commission is individual so if the first person you speak to leaves you alone someone else could grab the commission if you decide to buy.

So, that's why they do but I don't see why it is a problem. If you just get into conversation with them it doesn't feel so predatory and it doesn't stop you just looking around.

john bunyan 12:32 PM 20 Mar 13

As others have said, it is a little annoying to be pestered when browsing. However , compared to a Middle East or N African Souk or market, the UK is a breeze. There, unless one is prepared to risk being rude, it is almost impossible to shake off vendors, such that I find visiting such markets disagreeable and avoid them.

fourm member 12:39 PM 20 Mar 13

If you just get into conversation with the sales person it is not pestering any more and doesn't prevent you from browsing.

Bing.alau 13:54 PM 20 Mar 13

In some types of store it is also for security reasons that you are kept under observation all the time. And rightly so.

bumpkin 14:48 PM 20 Mar 13

Jock1e, agree with you about Curry's, followed and pestered and then a Spanish inquisition if you don't want the extended warranty. Not been to one for years for that very reason.

Aitchbee 16:45 PM 20 Mar 13

I have never been 'approached' over the past twenty or so years, whilst 'browsing' in all of the of charity shops I have visited and purchased various items from ... and long may it continue.

Bing.alau 16:57 PM 20 Mar 13

Aitchbee. I knew you were a very discerning shopper. A man of distinction, A real big spender etc... You can get some good stuff in charity shops. I know because I have given them a lot of good stuff over the last few years. "Way to go" as these golf fanatics say...

Aitchbee 17:04 PM 20 Mar 13

Bing.alau ... it's charity shop donors like you and and charity shop customers like me, wot keep charity shops alive 'n' kicking.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to watch Rugby World Cup 2015 online: Watch live, catch up on-demand & stream the 2015 Rugby…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

See immersive artist and storyteller Chris Milk speak at London VR event

What everyone thinks of the new Steve Jobs movie | 21 Facts about the Steve Jobs film | PLUS:…