Brown: 24 hour drinking a mistake

peter99co 21:38 22 Oct 09

click here

About time too!

Kevscar1 22:11 22 Oct 09

and I thought you were going to say brown was apologising for MP,s drinking for 24 hrs.

Grey Goo 22:26 22 Oct 09

Still spouting the bleedin obvious.

OTT_Buzzard 22:37 22 Oct 09

Is there really a solution to this? If there is, licensing hours are only a very small part of it.

Heavy alcohol consumption has been a part of Britsh culture for centuries. Allowing 24 hour licensing (albeit only to a very small number of establishments) was never going to make much difference to anything.

DANZIG 09:37 23 Oct 09

Personally speaking, I think the relaxation of licensing hours is needed.

I get home from work at half 10 on a Saturday night before my day off on a Sunday. If the archaic 11 PM last orders was still in force that would be what little social life I have anyway just gone! Luckily since the change in licensing hours, my local stays serving till half 12 on a Saturday night. Just what I want.

People's lives have changed and rules and laws need to be adapted. I don't know anyone who finishes at 5 anymore. Shops are open virtually 24/7 - even if I wasn't going out, how annoying would it be to get to the local supermarket to find I could buy absolutely ANYTHING except... bottle of wine for me and the Mrs??

crosstrainer 11:08 23 Oct 09

To consume alcohol 24 hours a day will do so regardless of the laws.

Supermarket loss leaders are the favourite target of such individuals, and they simply "Stock Up"

Those who drink responsibly are entitled to flexible hours, peoples working patterns have changed dramatically over the last decade...Now, where's that case of Special Brew :))?

wee eddie 12:32 23 Oct 09

~ At long last it's beginning to work, but it's still not really being put into operation.

Pubs and Clubs are still being required to close at the same time, which is contrary to the intention of the 24 hour Drinking Regulations.

The whole point is that Pubs and Clubs should be allowed to Open and Close when they wish. This should have two results.

1. That places where people can drink will seek to increase their Opening Hours until the early hours. If a Club chose to remain open until 5am, most of the Clientèle would have gone home by then. If they Close at 2am, most everybody stays there until 2am.

2. As they would not necessarily have the same closing time, the cinch point, when several hundred merry/drunk people arrive on the Street at the same time, is avoided.

This has been very neatly demonstrated here, in Ayr, during the last 3 weeks.

2 miles away, in Prestige, an adjoining Hamlet. The smartest of the local Bar/Restaurant/Club has been given a late License. They have chosen to trade until 1.30am. They used to close at 12.30 and a large proportion of their Customers then Taxied into Ayr to carry on Clubbing until 2.30.

The immediate result is an almost complete cessation of the Taxi Trade between them, and the Ayr Clubs, at 12.30. Instead of 20, or so, almost full Taxis making the Trip. There are now fewer than half a dozen and not necessarily full of sharing Punters.

In Ayr, between 2.30 and 3.00am, the queues for Taxis have dropped appreciably and so has the aggravation caused by long waiting times.

Bad for us Taxi Drivers but quite funny because, whereas the number of Punters has dropped, the level of Policing has remained consistent (Don't blame them, no one was sure what the result would be) and there are now a load of Coppers standing around looking for something to do. Don't get me wrong, all the bad things still occur, but because they are more spread out, they do not escalate, in the same way, like wildfire as they used to.

wee eddie 12:35 23 Oct 09

for Prestige ~ read Prestwick

Forum Editor 08:27 24 Oct 09

1.The problem with alcohol consumption is nothing to do with licensing hours.

2. Gordon Brown has this annoying habit of claiming that he and his government are going to take action to control 'problems' when the machinery to do so already exists.

What's needed isn't Gordon Brown taking action, it's society's problem, and if the collective will exists society can handle rising alcohol consumption.

If people are drinking more alcohol it's because they want to do so, and where the young are concerned consumption is increasing because a) they have the disposable income, and b)Large numbers of young people equate having a good time with drinking. They have no other way of spending their leisure time, so they go drinking.

However you look at the issue you can't escape the inevitable conclusion - young people are drinking more because they see their parents doing it, role models on TV doing it, and their peer group doing it. It goes round and round - the classic chicken and egg situation.

The answer? Well, Gordon Brown doesn't have it any more than I do. It starts with some people deciding that they'll raise their children differently, and it ends with most people doing the same - at least that's how it works in theory. Unfortunately, major shifts in the way a society behaves don't take place without a collective will, and I see no sign of one as far as alcohol consumption is concerned

jack 09:23 24 Oct 09

Was being described to me by someone who went to the O2 to see Spandau Ballet earlier in the week.

Never having been to the place before he and his wife were bemused by the size of the place and the plethora of eateries and drinkeries in the perimeter.
Bet it got worse, once in their seats.
Throughout the whole performance people were in and out to these places bringing back trays of comestibles,stewards were hard at work removing drunk and incapable. He said he lost count the number times folk along the row and in front left their seats to get more.
He estimated the loss of a third of the performance because of disturbance.
He is going to complain he said -Wwho to? and what response will he get I wonder.

Forum Editor 09:40 24 Oct 09

Commercial pressure is behind that - the arena is struggling to extract the maximum possible amount of money from the audience at every event.

AEG lost around £300 million when Michael Jackson died, and the cancelled concerts left them with 50 dates to fill. The owners have just signed Bon Jovi for appearances next summer, but they're still looking into a huge financial hole - they need to shift as much food and drink as possible.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

VFX Oscar nominees 2017: Discover how the visual effects were created

Best alternatives to iTunes for Mac | Best music players for macOS: Free your music from the…