Broken thread [suspected] on plastic fitting[s] underneath wash-hand sink. Advice needed.

Aitchbee 21:57 17 Jun 14
Answered

I have whittled down the small water leak to possibly a worn-out thread or perhaps a cracked plastic fitting.[23 years old - from new, when originally installed]

Is there a relatively simple fix?

... all suggestions welcome.

Algerian peter ™ 22:11 17 Jun 14

PTFE tape can bulk out a worn out thread and make a watertight connection.

click here

Forum Editor 22:11 17 Jun 14

If it's the thread, go to your local plumbers merchant and buy a reel of PTFE tape. Wind the tape around the thread a few times - in a clockwise direction, and reassemble. If it still leaks add more tape.

Don't overdo the tape - too much will cause the fitting to split as you tighten the thread.

Aitchbee 22:43 17 Jun 14
Answer

Thanks all. I'll give that PTFE tape 'a go' to try 'n' stop leak.

bumpkin 23:00 17 Jun 14

Do you mean that the leak is on the trap, if so try the tape first or get an adjustable replacement so it is easy to fit.

Aitchbee 23:08 17 Jun 14

bumpkin, I will keep your advice in mind.

but, a-roll-of-tape repair [wishful thinkin'] is right up my street... if at all possible, hee hee.

bumpkin 23:30 17 Jun 14

Hope it works, it should do.

Aitchbee 23:35 17 Jun 14

bumpkin, if it does work , I might tackle my long standing washing-machine leak with more confidence, armed with that magic tape ...

SparkyJack 08:06 18 Jun 14

PTFE tape is good stuff to have around.

What was not made clear I think is it is applied to the thread of the male componenent.

This means unscrewing a 23 year old item, which it may not like

So best advice in my view. If in unscrew mode, replace the whole set up,then will be good for the next 20 plus years

SparkyJack 13:06 18 Jun 14

Still waiting n doubt about dismantling?

Then try this two suggestions

A. Wrap the leak in PTFE then over wrap with duct tape.

B weather proofing tape --Wickes do their own

This is a linseed putty impregnated fabric--intended for guttering and the like.

Effective but very messy.

Both should be considered temporary,and when the time comes to replace,it will be an added removal task.

You could ofcoursebite bullet and find a plumber :_(

wiz-king 14:53 18 Jun 14

Some pipe fittings have a black rubber washer between the parts so keep an eye out for it and don't throw it away!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…