Broadband through the power lines in France

jakbiker 13:11 16 May 05

I saw a news flash in France last week which indicated the village of Haye de Puits on the Cherbourg peninsular was connected to broadband via the power cables.I may have mis understood but thought that the UK developers said it couldnt be done, but it appears not to be the case. Does anyone have any information.

octal 13:38 16 May 05

It can be done, but the position in the UK is that with the Internet service covering over 90% of the population by other means, PLT will probably be a non-starter in this country. Some of the providers who were going to implement it have already pulled out indicating it being unviable.

There is also the big question about likely interference to other radio services, particularly when the new digital services start appearing on the medium and short-wave bands. Digital Radio Mondiale who will be one of the providers of the new service has already expressed concern. So if it’s true, it will be of particular interest to them being a French company.

I will check into it further and post back if I find anything, thanks for letting us know.

It’s a subject very close to my heart!

spuds 15:38 16 May 05

Some info: click here click here

€dstowe 20:05 16 May 05

I took part in a trial. It was rubbish. Far too much noise on the line. Gave it up after two days.

georgemac © 08:20 17 May 05

it has been undergoing trials in the US click here more info click here the second page showing there have been problems with interference to radio signals.

Obviously the major advantage is that nearly every home already has a power supply - if you can get bb through this and you have a mobile phone, do you really need a telephone landline, especially if VOIP takes off?

I don't think the teleco's are under threat yet, but you never know what advances in technology may bring.

octal 10:55 17 May 05

The trouble with PLT is firstly, as €dstowe has already pointed out, the electrical mains is horrendously noisy, to overcome the noise the internet signal power supplied to the mains to overcome this has to be high, probably in the range 100 – 200 watts.

Considering I can work the world on a few tens of watts, it doesn’t take much to work out the putting 100 watts into effectively an aerial a few miles long is going to cause problems to other radio services, in spite of what the pundits say. The additional problem is that the electrical mains is not a balanced system, unlike the POTS telephone system which is balanced and already carry high frequency internet data, the potential is that much greater to interfere with other services using the mains.

Sorry to jakbiker for hijacking your thread a little, but I can’t find any reference that Haye de Puits has anything installed, apart from outline proposals at this time. If they have, they’ve kept very quiet about it.

jakbiker 13:56 17 May 05

It was a short news item on one of the french tv channels around the second of may,.. cant really remember the date or channel am wondering if it was one of the other La Haye-Pesnel. Well they made quite a thing of it.
Thanks for the response ...I wont be selling my telecom shares then just yet.

Forum Editor 23:19 17 May 05

on UK power-line broadband were conducted in 1999 by NorWeb. Unfortunately it was discovered that street lamp poles and tower blocks were acting as emitters and were disrupting short wave users like air traffic control and police, the Ministry of Defence, and the BBC World Service.

At the time there were no easy solutions, and consequently the full-scale roll-out of this technology by NorWeb was abandoned.

octal 07:25 18 May 05

This gives a history of PLT so far click here which includes the 1999 trial, as I said earlier the interference concerns are even greater now because the broadcasters are looking to the shotwave and medium wave bands for transmitting CD quality signals, so they won't want their product disrupted by another technology.

Aspman 10:23 18 May 05

I was part of the SST trial in Crieff (second trial occurred in Stonhaven).

We had a 1Mb feed to the school I worked at. Very reliable and fast. Cheap for the school too. They still have it I think.

But as others say more conventional ADSL has rolled out in most placed now and will probably stop development of powerline technology.

We were told that the powerline tech was scalable to 10Mb but no big jumps ever came.

Forum Editor 20:19 18 May 05

is that each electricity sub-station would have to have some fairly expensive hardware, the service can't just be piped into the National grid.

The capital investment would be considerable, and I doubt whether there would be sufficient projected take-up to make it worthwhile now. I could be wrong, but my feeling is that the world has moved on - as Aspman says.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation technologies coming to Siggraph 2017

iPad Pro 12.9 vs Surface Pro 5