Broadband - Capacity/Use Based Charging

Zak 19:25 14 Jan 05

Last August/September 04 BT announced price increases and as I understand effectively has given ISPs 12 months notice that cost of ADSL will relate to usage/capacity.

Will we see the end of uncapped ADSL?

Will ADSL packages be sold just as for mobile phones?

What about the effect on the smaller ISPs?

Any concrete information available and/or views?

CurlyWhirly 19:40 14 Jan 05

Very interesting thread this as I am a 'heavy user' and I would definently cut down on my internet access if this came about!

By 'heavy user' I mean online for LONG periods of time as I love browsing the web and posting in various computer forums (including this one) and NOT downloading illegal movies and music off P2P networks.
I haven't even got P2P on my PC!

I am currently with AOL unlimited broadband but IF your comment IS true then perhaps AOL won't be able to offer the 'unlimited' access anymore when and if BT impose the restrictions?

JonnyTub 19:48 14 Jan 05

Im on blueyonder and found my service superb!
Firstly i signed up to the 512 basic service, free modem, free engineer setup. Then 6 months down the line they upgraded my account to 768 for FREE! And now they've done it again, I'm on 1 mbit and don't pay a penny extra! Now that's service.

And Telewest don't rent BT's lines so no capping nonesense for me.

Capping in itself is a good idea, but i consider myself a heavy user as most of us here do also. If telewest were even considering capping, i'd be off like a shot to the nearest competitor who didn't. I don't like the idea of clock watching whilst surfing. Or paying stupid amounts of money for an uncapped service.

JonnyTub 19:49 14 Jan 05

clock watching?

you get my drift, methinks.

CurlyWhirly 20:25 14 Jan 05

I don't like the idea of clock watching whilst surfing.

My sentiments exactly as I spend between 4 and 8 hours a day online depending on work commitments and I don't want to be constantly monitoring the clock!
Download restrictions, though, WOULDN'T bother me that much, as I don't do much downloading only browsing or listening to my broadband radio!

Noelg23 22:39 14 Jan 05

well altho ur version of 'heavy user' seems legit darling...in actual fact, as u well know, it means someone who not only browses for long periods but also, as u have stated, does a lot of downloads, legal or illegal. thus the explanation of heavy user...but your on the right course...

Noelg23 22:40 14 Jan 05

and to be honest for someone who does alot of downloads, I wouldnt be happy about capped usage at all...my one big problem is contention ratio especially 50:1 which is what I am on and right now I am on the receiving end of that as my 1Mb speed has gone down to at least half that!

Charence 22:53 14 Jan 05

What's the point? You may be going fast, but not for long; it may be better going slow. It's like having a 5 litre car with a 1 litre fuel tank.

Currently my Broadband is uncapped, and I guess I'm at times a heavy user. The connection is shared amongst 4 computers in my home. I regularly listen to the radio on the internet and also watch TV (news) on the internet. This week I've downloaded all 3 CD images for Linux Mandrake 10.1 and I'm downloading Linux SuSE 9.2 at the moment. I think that's heavy use (though it doesn't happen all the time, it does happen and I expect to be able to download Linux if they provide it on their website).

I may be able to accept restricted broadband if it was A LOT cheaper and they allowed you to go over the limit if you paid. But if I reach the limit and my connection stops (as the AOL advert implies for other ISPs) I will not choose them.

Charence

octal 23:31 14 Jan 05

I don't think it would effect you that much. As you are connected all the time on BB you'll probably find its the amount of bandwidth you're using. If you are just surfing the net the average web page is something in the area of 10-50KB, so every time you visit a page that's what you are downloading, once its downloaded it stops, check the little activity meter on your fire wall if you have one. Compare that to someone who is downloading games or music at several hundred MB, by comparison you are a light user.

Happy surfing!

CurlyWhirly 15:09 15 Jan 05

my one big problem is contention ratio especially 50:1 which is what I am on and right now I am on the receiving end of that as my 1Mb speed has gone down to at least half that!

That sure is low!
Have you complained to your ISP?
I would if I had those kind of speeds!
Having said that I normally connect at between around 900 kb and 940 kb on a 1mb connection so not too bad really!

CurlyWhirly 15:14 15 Jan 05

I don't think it would effect you that much.

I am pleased at this news but what about broadband radio?
Does this use much bandwidth?
I don't think so as it is JUST audio and NO video but unsure really.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Google Allo? What is Google Duo? Google Allo UK release date rumours and features: Google…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These clever designs help visualise a complex intelligence tool

iOS 10 troubleshooting tips: Simple fixes for the most common iOS 10 problems, from network…