Broadband

james55 23:05 06 Jul 04

Well I have gone and done it (I think), I have taken that one small step and joined the broadband revolution (Freeserve oops sorry Wanadoo). Only thing is instead of relaxing and enjoying the experience, my right eye is looking at a wee flashing green light hoping it will stop and I will be connected. It seems it can take up to ten days, oh impatient me.

Jim.

norman47 23:37 06 Jul 04

You must be a nervous wreck on the 23rd. of December.

Good luck with the broadband, I think you will like it.

p.s.

Have you tried draping a cloth over the flashing light, so it will not distract you or do not wish to miss the magical moment when it is steady?

james55 19:05 07 Jul 04

norman47 thanks for the sympathy, day 3 and I have been connected yahoo!!

Jim.

Forum Editor 20:13 07 Jul 04

of high-speed surfing.

james55 22:54 07 Jul 04

Thanks FE

Things are now going so fast I am getting dizzy.

Jim.

carolineann 10:53 09 Jul 04

is it really worth while getting broadband.
Is it really that fast. Apart from speed what are the other advantages.

Jackcoms 11:31 09 Jul 04

Frees up your 'phone line for voice calls.

Steady, not jerky, video.

Faster downloads (Wait for XP SP2).

www really is the world wide web rather than the world wide wait.

Unwanted diallers can't dial out using BB (if you've disconnected your dial-up modem).

carolineann 11:52 09 Jul 04

What difference is this going to make.

troydi 15:06 09 Jul 04

XP SP2 is a lot larger a file size than your standard updates, around 15mb. That using a standard modem would take a hell of a lot longer to download than with a broadband modem. We're talking pretty much 10x as fast.

Jackcoms 15:40 09 Jul 04

troydi

15mb? I wish!

There are a lot of posts in the Helproom Forum talking about nearer 250mb, hence my particular reference to it in this thread. Even with BB it promises to be a horror.

CurlyWhirly 00:21 10 Jul 04

I have had broadband for over a year now and there is no way I would go back to dial-up!
I have to admit one thing though that is when I was on dial-up I was lucky to be online for an hour a day but now I am regularly online for 2-4 hours a day and I find that I am watching the tv less to make more time for my high speed surfing!
CW

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Amazon Go and will it come to the UK? The store without checkouts or queues

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Hands-on with the Star Wars fighting drones you can fly yourself

15 macOS Sierra tips | How to use macOS Sierra: Secret tricks and best new features in Apple's new…