Is this British or is it racist?

Cymro. 11:29 18 Jul 10

Banning the wearing of the Islamic full veil in public would be "un-British", the immigration minister Damian Green has said.

I can think of a few reasons why some people would like to see such things baned in the UK but to say it is un-British seems to me to be a very poor reason.

Who is this Damion Green to say what it British or not British. I consider myself to be British but no one has asked my opinion about this subject and I never saw anything about it in any party manifesto in the last general election.

If Damian Green and people of his ilk want to ban the burka then they should come out with their true reason for wanting to do so. To say their reasons are because it is un-British or security related is just a way of trying to hide their true racist feelings.

Many people who were the burka are British born citizens or legal immigrants who we (rightly or wrongly) have allowed in to this country. They are here now and are part of British society (if we like it or not). If they want to preserve their cultural identity for some religious reason that I don`t understand then who are we to stop them?

Quickbeam 11:39 18 Jul 10

Whatever you think of the burka, imagine the headlines if banks and petrol stations included the burka as part of the forbidden headwear along with bike helmets and Sinn Fein balaclavas.

Now that scenario wouldn't be racist to me, but we all know what a furore it would cause.

Cymro. 11:46 18 Jul 10

It is just not my day is it.
But I think you get my drift.

Cymro. 11:52 18 Jul 10

"It comes after Tory MP Philip Hollobone introduced a private members' bill which would make it illegal for people to cover their faces in public".

The above comes further down in the BBC item. So that will teach me not to just skip through such things without reading them properly. Still I think you know what I was getting at, even if I did not.

nangadef 11:53 18 Jul 10

We reap what we sow.

jack 12:24 18 Jul 10

The we should not 'tolerate' those that insist in doing things that are not er 'British'
facial covering is a cultural/ tribal thing not religious/Islamic or any other .
If folk want to integrate into our society - then do things our way.

Go to any strictly Islamic state- and if the incomer does not comply- straight jail and would be lucky not to receive lashes into the bargain.
So - do things the British way or go home.

Kevscar1 12:37 18 Jul 10

Go to Dubai and then tell them you are kissing your wife in public because it,s a British cultural/tribal thing and see how far you get.
Sorry if you don't like the way we do things then don't come and live here.

Noldi 12:47 18 Jul 10

"We reap what we sow"

Nail hit squarly on head.

Noldi

johndrew 14:05 18 Jul 10

Where about in Britain is Dubai?

Perhaps the old saying of, "When in Rome ...." is applicable.

johndrew 14:07 18 Jul 10

Meant to continue.

Another nail hit squarely.

jakimo 14:30 18 Jul 10

There is no mention that wearing a burqa is mandatory in the Koran; so that argument should be dismissed

It is a natural reaction to treat a person hiding their identity with suspicion and uneasiness,and facial expressions can tell you as much as the spoken word, however Muslims are free to cover up with impunity without being excluded from some public places while other groups not known for any terrorist acts are.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro 5 News - release date, UK price, features, specs

Microsoft Surface Studio hands-on review: the iMac killer is here

Best Mac antivirus 2017