British Gas Hive

Quickbeam 08:07 06 Feb 14

Is anyone using it, and if so, is it as good and simple to use as they make out?

I'm quite tempted by the convenience of it as I work pretty erratic hours and often come home to a cold house.

British Gas Hive

BT 08:26 06 Feb 14

£200!

I'd rather be cold occasionally. My house rarely gets cold. We have the heating on from 7am to 11pm as we are in all day and the temperature drop overnight isn't so much that it feels cold. I think that overall it is more cost effective and more comfortable to keep the heating on rather than having to keep reheating the house from cold. Its probably different if the house is empty all day but I'd rather be warm than not.

Quickbeam 08:43 06 Feb 14

Yes, only £200!

With a claim of an annual saving of £150, it's almost cost effective after the first year. The cost claim seems to add up well in my favour, but I'd just like to know if anyone personally, is is either pleased or displeased with the system's reliability.

My default settings are a couple of hours in the morning and a couple more in the evening. But if I get home late I've wasted two hours worth of heating that I use again as I switch on again.

Quickbeam 09:13 06 Feb 14

Looking at the demo app, I get the impression that I can set the temperature for say, a minimum of 12C for when I'm out, and then raise it up to 20C either on the timer or by overriding it via a mobile controller for when I think I'll be back.

I have to say that I've already sold myself on the idea, I'd just prefer to know if someone that actually has it thinks it really is the best thing since sliced bread...

morddwyd 09:24 06 Feb 14

Control from my phone?

I have difficulty controlling my phone from my phone (I have yet to master a text message) let alone start on the bells and whistles!

Quickbeam 10:56 06 Feb 14

Didn't you spend your life working with cutting edge aerospace technology morddwyd!

fourm member 12:29 06 Feb 14

Just a thought.

Have you looked closely at the small print for the assumptions made when coming up with that £150 saving?

If it's based on someone being very wasteful, you may find you are already making some of that saving.

Quickbeam 12:54 06 Feb 14

Yes fm, I think I would include my own waste in that as about 4 times a week I'm not in when it comes on.

To be honest I'm now 90% wanting it, after all it's no different than wanting a Kindle when I could just as easily read a real book from the library at no cost.

Aitchbee 12:58 06 Feb 14

Perhaps, someone with a bigger household to heat, more efficiently, would benefit from this 'energy-saving-remote-control-device'.

click here

Forum Editor 15:20 06 Feb 14

I tend to categorise things like this as yet one more unnecessary gizmo to go wrong. With a simple thermostat/programmer setup you can achieve exactly the same for less money. Admittedly you can't alter your settings via your mobile phone, but surely it's not that difficult to predict roughly which day you will be at home, and at what time, and set the programmer accordingly.

Quickbeam 16:17 06 Feb 14

And I thought this site was frequented by technophiles... It's a gadget, I want one!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Huawei P10 review

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

An overview: What leading creative agencies are doing to improve diversity

New iPad, iPhone SE & Red iPhone 7 on sale now