British Gas

realist 21:19 10 May 07

Letter from British Gas today.

In accordance with their new billing procedure my Direct Debit monthly payments are being changed from £51 to £5 (five pounds) from 1 June!

On the face of it this looks like good news, but I'd prefer to carry on paying the full whack and maybe build up a credit balance rather than have wildly fluctuating sums taken from my account.

Looks like a long-winded and expensive phone call coming up.

Koochy 21:25 10 May 07

You have the opposite letter from my partner and I.
We got a letter saying that our payments were to up by £5/month even though we are 86 quid in credit so my partner phoned them and the answer given was "well you may be using more gas over the next few months" HELLO it's nearly summer so after a few choice words and a threat of moving to a different provider they caved and said we could carry on paying the same amount.

K.

realist 21:31 10 May 07

Maybe its an error in my letter.

Definitely says:
"New monthly payment amount: £5.00"

and refers to it being "a significant change to your current payment"....that's certainly true!

TOPCAT® 00:23 11 May 07

your bills with BG as their customer service complaints were rising rapidly when this story was published. TC. click here

octal 07:13 11 May 07

Because the utilities are not allowed to keep a large credit, the computer will adjust the Direct Debits to take into account that. I had something similar with my supplier, they agreed it was silly, so we negotiated a reasonable figure which was reviewed in about 8 months when it was readjusted again. Computers are not very clever at working things like this out.

STREETWORK 07:51 11 May 07

Mine increased by £12 per month, based upon my last quarter usage, er, it was winter...

Pine Man 08:39 11 May 07

'I'd prefer to carry on paying the full whack and maybe build up a credit balance rather than have wildly fluctuating sums taken from my account'.

If you do that they get interest on your money. Why not have a standing order of £51 into a regular savings account then when BG realise what they have done you will be able to pay them from the that savings account and keep your interest!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This abstract video touches on division in our technologic world

Best alternatives to iTunes for Mac | Best music players for macOS: Free your music from the…