Bringing in the big guns (only metaphorically)

knockin on 18 Mar 13
Answered

Should David Cameron greet the new Archbishop of Canterbury with a snivelling gift and beg him to intercede on behalf of the nation in the Falklands dispute?

Quickbeam 18 Mar 13

I take it you are alluding to this.

In which case yes, a Bishops melee at dawn with holy maces!

But who would have God on their side...?

wee eddie 18 Mar 13

I'm being a touch pedantic here:

One brings/wheels 'out' the big guns

fourm member 18 Mar 13

Reading to the end of Quickbeam's link it sounds as the Argentinian leader was asking for something she knows the pope can't/won't do so she can criticise him back home.

Aitchbee 18 Mar 13
Answer

The late Polish pope John Paul had a big influence in his own country's political future ... so why not Francis for the land of his birth ... Argentina?

knockin on 18 Mar 13

Wee Eddie:
Yes you are..... My big guns were in the garden, when it started to snow. I brought them, and the ammunition IN to the garage to avoid freezing the balls ON the brass monkey. :)

Aitchbee: Why not indeed. I understand he has already given an opinion on the matter (prior to his election) which favours the Argentine viewpoint

wee eddie 18 Mar 13

knock knock ~ they'd not be much use in the garage would they

fourm member 19 Mar 13

'I understand he has already given an opinion on the matter (prior to his election) which favours the Argentine viewpoint'

On paper, over 90% of Argentinians are Roman Catholic. In church, only about 20% ever turn up. An Argentinian cardinal facing that erosion of support would have been very foolish to say anything as unpopular (in Argentina) as leave it to the islanders to decide.

Advertisement

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Windows 10 Home vs Windows 10 Pro comparison: Here are the extra features you get in the Pro version

Why Formula-e needs to go faster

How Instagram spots trends

How to use Apple Music in the UK: Complete guide to Apple Music's features

We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message