Bridge on the River Kwai

ulrich 19:51 29 Dec 07

I saw this film when it first came out, probably everytime I have watched it or bits of it I learn something new

Tonight I heard those imortal words from the great Alec Guiness to Col Saito when he is trying to break the wire "Have you got a knife?", Col Saito looks frantically in his pocket to no avail as he has lost it somewhere, forgetting he has rather a large sword on his waist. Never mind I will watch the later version to see what Col Saito did with his knife, those with HD tele can watch again and get a better view.

Earthsea 20:02 29 Dec 07

Just finished watching it (for the umpteenth time). Don't know about the knife, but it's one of the best British films ever made.

octal 21:31 29 Dec 07

Brilliant film, I first saw it at the Finsbury Park Astoria when I was 9 years old with my mum and dad. I remember they had a model of the bridge in the foyer.

STREETWORK 22:21 29 Dec 07

Tis a classic..

also watch 'How Green Was My Valley'...

Quickbeam 09:35 30 Dec 07

but for an accurate account of the building of the 'Railway of Death', read Ernest Gordon's survivors account 'Miracle on the River Kwai' click here It chills the blood in places.

jonmac 10:49 30 Dec 07

I liked the film too although I've not watched it for years. For another true account of conditions on the building of that railway I have an old chap up the road from here who was there and survived it. He joined the army as a boy soldier, was sent to Singapore which fell soon after and spent the rest of the war as a prisoner of the Japanese.
On one occasion as punishment for a minor misdeed he and a companion were beaten up, thrown into a tiny toilet and left there for 7 days. At the end of the war he returned home a shadow of his former self but, with youth on his side he recovered. The older prisoners used to protect him as best they could with extra bits of food etc. Different world!

Mr Mistoffelees 10:58 30 Dec 07

My partner's father was there too. The film is not an accurate account as the British POWs took every opportunity to sabotage the bridge during construction. They certainly did not build it with pride. Damage to his knees, due to the living conditions, led to him having to have both legs amputated. Even when he arrived back on British soil, after weeks of good eating on an American ship, he was still severely underweight.

john bunyan 10:59 30 Dec 07

Same Director as Lawrence of Arabia I think. Why dont they make films like those now?
octal. Did the Finsbury Park Astoria still have a golfish pond in the foyer,"stars" in the cinema ceiling and an organ coming up from the footlights in your day? I remember seeing Bambi there in about 1942!

Forum Editor 11:27 30 Dec 07

I lived in Sri Lanka, where the film was shot, and I can just remember my father taking me up to one of the locations to watch the goings on.

DrScott 13:00 30 Dec 07

was also involved in the building of the bridge and the associated railway line. He survived, but died 29 years ago - possibly related to the torture and depravity he underwent at the hands of his captors.

I have since visited the bridge - or rather its location - and it's little more than a tourist trap nowadays. However, the museum and graveyard is well worth a visit - very moving indeed.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Sniper Elite 4 review: Headshotting Nazis has never felt so good

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Best Design, Illustration, Animation and VFX Awards of 2017

WWDC 2017 dates: How to get WWDC 2017 tickets, when is WWDC 2017 and more details announced