A Breath of Fresh Air

Pesala 23:28 13 Jul 07

click here

Two weeks after the smoking ban — what a difference.

Forum Editor 23:33 13 Jul 07

and dramatic evidence - if any was needed - of the beneficial effects of the ban.

josie mayhem 22:03 14 Jul 07

But can this report be believed?

Reading my local mag at the begining of the week, it ran a report on two pubs in our area... One was a pub ourside of town which in is more like a resturant than a pub, as people generaly visit for a meal rather than a drink. The other was a pub that was in town being in the main night clubbing area...

The report was very positive indeed, but one can't imagine that the pub outside of the town is really going to lose out due to the food it serves..

But the town pub, well there seems to be a bit of a difference of opinion to what was reported and what I've seen with my own eyes... According the the local rag, the landlord said how good it's been, trade had gone up and not down they are getting more people through the doors!

So how come then when I've gone passed in the week, with the exception of the dart or skittle team there been no-one in the pub... And has it's in the main drinking/clubbing part of the town... Wed, Thurs, Fri and saturday night the pub is normally heaving from around 9.30pm until it closes... I parked outside the front door on Thurdsay night to pick up my daughter.... Not only was there no-one in the pub not a single soul at all with the exception of bar staff and security staff... But all the other pubs and bars were pretty much the same... very few people wondering around the area much less than a sunday night?

So someone somewhere isn't telling the truth! I know what I saw and I know what I should expect to see....

Stuartli 22:15 14 Jul 07

Trade has been well down at my private members' club since the ban.

hzhzhzhz 22:36 14 Jul 07

Wont be too long until the only place to enjoy a fag and a drop of alcohol will be your own home.

well ive been an ex-smoker for two weeks now(miracle)over a reasonable period of time the pubs "no smoking law" will improve business im sure,i was in in the minority anyway before stopping.

just for info
my partner and i smoked 40 a day =£140 per week
approx £10,000 a year of income pre deductions
*hangs head in shame*

rdave13 23:02 14 Jul 07

I think that the "public house" days are numbered. More and more pubs cater for food and family services and the "pub" will eventually be extinct. The no smoking ban and even higher alcohol taxes proposed will turn the pubs into eateries with licences of course.

Another British institution going the same way as the dodo.

Rdave13
ditto

acxxxx 00:15 15 Jul 07

In the street where I work, the pubs and restaurants have alfresco evenings, they seem to be allot busier now (eating and smoking in the open air). However the amount of cigarette ends on the street is terrible.

Jake_027 00:51 15 Jul 07

but its been amazing these past two weeks to be able to wait in my local bus station and train station without the smell of smoke, its absolutely brilliant. I never thought I'd notice a big difference but I have, ad I'm glad the ban came in.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Amazon Go and will it come to the UK? The store without checkouts or queues

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Why ecommerce hasn't taken off on social media

New MacBook Pro 2016 review | MacBook Pro with Touch Bar review: Apple's expensive and powerful…