Breast Implants

Condom 21:48 21 Dec 11

I actually came on this evening hoping to see something about breast implants but not a word. As a mere man I just couldn't believe the statement from the woman doctor which was continually repeated on BBC News. If I had been a woman I would have been knocking at her front door demanding answers.

They tell us that up to 40,000 women in the UK have transplants made by this company and it is known that they are all to put no finer a word on it "fakes". The implants have been made with industrial standard silicon and not medical. On the same news I watch LA officers raiding premises which are selling fake toys because they may be unsafe and electrical stores selling possibly fake battery chargers for the same reason.

But fake implants inside our bodies which could be affecting our loved ones is nothing to worry about. As an ex long term NHS employee what sort of country are we becoming?

lotvic 00:59 22 Dec 11

Just read the bbc article and near the end it says that out of 30,000 in France more than 1,000 have ruptured and the use of the firms implants was banned last year. The French Gov seem to be taking the issue seriously.

wiz-king 06:37 22 Dec 11

Old news. The story broke (pun intended)last year - one was broken at a paintballing event near me. I found it amazing the large number of women that thought it necessary to have the implants as only about 5% were done on the NHS for medical reasons.

interzone55 09:03 22 Dec 11

I have a feeling the don't panic messages are to stop people demanding the NHS remove the implants at our expense.

Not sure why the NHS should pay to fix mistakes made by the vain.

(I would imagine any implants fitted during mastectomy surgery would be from suppliers approved by NICE, I don't think PIP were on the list)

spuds 09:40 22 Dec 11

Perhaps not so much about 'fake' implants, but more to do with 'fake' medication and medical equipment that is filtering into the system.

Only a few months ago, there was a program on television about this very same thing, with some of the warning signs being ignored, by those responsible for our safeguards. Drugs being 'approved' in one country, could be 'approved' in another country (without further testing) by a simple method of 'approved' paperwork. Equipment made in India (sometimes via a backyard industry) could reach our UK suppliers with Made in Germany or France stamped on them (as per order requirements). Apparently those stamped Made in Germany rated an higher price, yet the end product could have originated from the same source?.

There appears to be only one hospital in the UK, and that's in London, that as its own surgical equipment tester and engineer. His role was one of seeing if the equipment is fit for purpose, and some of it wasn't!.

If you are a worrying type of person, then perhaps you might need to worry more about this subject, especially were profit is a key factor?.

Aitchbee 19:27 24 Dec 11

I feel sorry for all of the women who paid a lot of money for the unsafe implants.

Their (the woman's) reasons for undergoing these 'enhancements' bewilder me.

That's all folks!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This abstract video touches on division in our technologic world

Best alternatives to iTunes for Mac | Best music players for macOS: Free your music from the…