Breakfast

laurie53 09:37 30 Oct 07

I've just had a Loch Fyne kipper for breakfast - absolutely superb.

I know everyone has their regional favourite, but to me Loch Fyne are the creme de la creme.

namtas 09:53 30 Oct 07

You need to have tried a Craster kipper from the original home of the kipper in Northumberland none of that artificial colouring - smoked for 24 hours from damp oak sawdust.

Bingalau 09:57 30 Oct 07

I like Kippers but the smell so early in the morning puts me off. So I will stick to my porridge and a tablespoonful of tinned mandarins to sweeten it up a bit.. I can just see the shock/horror on the faces of all my Scottish pals, as they mumble into theirs, "Porridge should only be cooked in water and eaten with salt for taste... Och Aye the noo" etc.

im with bingalau i hate the smell of kippers, even though i love kippers, so i save the luxury for when im in the position to have breakfast out. i also find i can still taste them afterwards. the mars bar i have just eaten seems not to cause such problems (but possibly adds a couple of new ones)

crosstrainer 10:02 30 Oct 07

Bingalau, the smell seems to hang around for hours!

Maybe someone will invent an "odour free" variety? :)

Stuartli 11:10 30 Oct 07

Even better is eating one alongside Loch Fyne in the restaurant just after the graceful road curve which takes you to the far side of the loch...:-)

Quickbeam 11:34 30 Oct 07

I always prefer kippers as a tea time treat, with thick wholemeal bread smothered in butter... yummy!

newman35 11:42 30 Oct 07

Arbroath Smokies for me....

youtruth 11:53 30 Oct 07

newman35 , a Scottish girl from Arbroath once told me that if one knew where the excited fishermen put the pre-smokie then you would'nt even touch them!

True.

Quickbeam 11:59 30 Oct 07

Manx kippers are very good too. They're smoked drier and are a different product to the much moister Loch Fyne kippers.

If anyone doesn't like the lingering smell and repeating feature of kippers, smoked mackerel is a very good alternative.

The oils in both of these fish are very healthy and reduce cholesterol naturally.

wee eddie 12:12 30 Oct 07

in the world of kippers.

But they do a lovely job. I'm not sure if I could face cooking one at 6am though.

ps. I always cook a big pan of porridge and keep it in the drawer, then I just need to cut off a little bit each morning!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…