breadmakers

kidsis 13:03 18 Jun 11

hi folks, after reading a newspaper article about the rubbish that is put in to supermarket bread, we are considering the purchase of one of these miracle machines so that we know what goes in to the bread. So, thought I would ask your advice - does anyone use one? If so how do you find it. Is it heavy to lift if it needs to be moved, how long does it take to make the bread, any other advice you can give. I have seen a couple "in the supermarket" that are affordable and don't want to just buy and hope, and I've only ever known one person that used one and she was really pleased with it.

Cymro. 13:12 18 Jun 11

kidsis "I've only ever known one person that used one and she was really pleased with it"

I have also only ever known one person who used one. After a few weeks the novelty wore off and the bread maker ended up in the attic along with all the other gadget they had bought over the years. I remember it did make for a lovely fresh backed smell all over the house.

octal 13:15 18 Jun 11

I use one, I have done for some time. The bread it produces is OK, the only down side as far as I can see is the crust, I love the crust to remain crisp and crunchy, I have found the crust goes soft after a short period of time, I'm still working on it. I use the Panasonic SD-254.

It only takes me a few minutes to add the ingredients and it takes anything from 2 hours to 6 hours to bake, depending of what type of bread you are baking, there are quite a few types of bread flour you can buy in your local supermarket.

octal 13:17 18 Jun 11

By the way, it isn't heavy, I put it back in its box and put it under one of our worktops.

wee eddie 15:15 18 Jun 11

Make it just before you go to bed and it will be ready for breakfast.

Bread made without the addition of "extras", tends to loose the crispness of it's crust within a few hours and becomes stale within 24 or so. That's why, in France, you send the Kids down to the Bakers to fetch the Bread before breakfast! Use it for toasting after that. By the way: The word "Stale" refers to the condition of the bread and not its edibility, properly kept a loaf should be safe to eat for another week, or so, at the very least.

wee eddie 15:16 18 Jun 11

p.s. My cousin Lina makes the most wonderful Walnut Bread in one of those machines.

wee eddie 15:18 18 Jun 11

p.p.s. When it has finished baking. Do remember to leave it to cool (set) before you cut it, or it'll all squadge up!

Woolwell 15:27 18 Jun 11

I use a Panasonic SD-255 several times per week. Very good machine, I don't have a problem with the crust and it usually does well in reviews.

Comes with some nice recipes - maple and pecan, almond and apricot are good as a change from the standard. Chocolate and orange is nice too. Important to use the right yeast and flour.

kidsis 15:32 18 Jun 11

hi guys, thanks v.much for the replies. We're going to try to get to "the supermarket" some time this week to see what they have (they give points on the card). I was going to send away for it, but then realised that if anything went wrong I assume I would have the responsibility of repackaging and taking to post office to send back. I think it best to try to get one locally, sadly that may mean not having the fullest choice.

Toneman 18:12 18 Jun 11

I make a small loaf which usually lasts a week with no problems. I leave the finished loaf in the breadmaker for about fifteen minutes after the programme has finished to harden up the crust a bit..

Condom 18:56 18 Jun 11

Can we not have a machine that just gives off the smell of fresh bread? That would do me as my siliva is working already..

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Prehistoric Britain is laid out in these Royal Mail stamp illustrations

Best running headphones | Best sport & fitness headphones: 4 brilliant pairs of wireless…