Brave or stupid?

Legolas 18:57 29 May 07

I have just seen the news report on the young man who survived a parachute jump when his parachute and reserve parachute failed to open he hit the ground at more than a 100mph and only suffered a collapsed lung and a broken ankle.

Well that was last year and today he was up again to do his first jump since his amazing escape.

So what do we think brave or stupid?

donki 19:05 29 May 07

Well the chances of it happening once is slim so chances of a second time are nearly non exsistant (crosses his fingers). Ive done it a few times and have to say I would do it again its one of those experiences which cannot be discribed without actually doing it. Fair play to him.

Kate B 19:07 29 May 07

Brave: that kind of horrible mishap must be a one in a zillion event, but it shows bottle to want to do it again after an experience like that. Mind you, as a resolutely earthbound creature, I think anyone who jumps out of an aircraft - or off a bridge with an overgrown elastic band wrapped around their ankles - is brave.

Forum Editor 19:08 29 May 07

Neither, really. He's just doing what he wants to do.

Mind you, I wouldn't jump out of an aircraft with nothing but a bunch of fabric and string between me and eternity.

Legolas 19:08 29 May 07

He said in the report that he was feeling a little bit nervous,if it had been me I would have been feeling a big bit nervous

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 20:06 29 May 07

However he's got more chance of being killed on the way home in the car.

I've done a few (thousand) jumps and nothing like that has happened to me (so far).

I appluad him for having another go, it may well have put me off.

He's obviously an experienced jumper judging by that landing and enjoys his sport.

DrScott 00:28 30 May 07

elderly people have you met that used to be parachutists?

Probability suggests that the more times you jump out of an aeroplane the more likely you are to be killed. Seems a terribly stupid idea to me, but each to his own ;o)

Kate B 00:30 30 May 07

Hm, I would have thought that that's not true. It's not the case that, say, every time you get into a car or on a plane the chances of being mangled in a crash increase: the statistical counter is reset to zero each time. I don't see why it's any different for flinging yourself out of a plane.

Forum Editor 00:43 30 May 07

You're right, it isn't.

Except that statistically you're less likely to die as a result of flinging yourself out of a plane than from walking downstairs.

DrScott 00:52 30 May 07

for me to figure out probability, but there is the effect of increasing levels of confidence in a parachutist which is more likely to lead them to take more risks, hence an increased liklihood of an accident. The independent probability starts to have elements of conditional probability.

As for stairs, billions of people walk up and down stairs every day so there are more accidents. That is the true incidence of 'stair accidents' can be not only calculated by visualised. The same cannot be said for parachuting - if a billion people did it every day then you might find you're more likely to die doing that than walking up and down stairs.

Kev.Ifty 00:53 30 May 07

I asked my instructor, during a training session for a charity jump, "If my main chute fails, how long do I have to deploy my reserve parachute?"

"The rest of your life" was the reply.

:-(

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

New Corel ParticleShop plugin now available: 11 new brushes & 6 new brush packs

Apple AirPods review: Apple's beautiful new Bluetooth headphones bring true intelligence to…