A brave lady

Stuartli 09:46 21 Jul 07

I've been sent this video link today of "a brave lady", Wafa Sultan, an Arab-American psychologist from Los Angeles, speaking on Al Jazeera television:

click here

Forum members' reactions should prove interesting.

wallbash 09:56 21 Jul 07

Having a problem viewing

Stuartli 10:17 21 Jul 07

Opens OK in WMP11 for me.

Try downloading and installing the Standard K-Lite codecs pack from:

click here

octal 10:21 21 Jul 07

I have no problem viewing it, but I am having problem commenting on it in a way that doesn't infringe the forum rules suffice to say, yes brave lady who speaks a lot of common sense which sadly is lacking in this world.

Pesala 10:24 21 Jul 07

See also: A Crack in the Wall: click here

Forum Editor 10:28 21 Jul 07

and probably articulates what a lot of Muslims believe, deep inside.

Unfortunately she's a voice in the wilderness as fas as extremists are concerned. It's important to understand that fanatics aren't interested in reason - it's the one thing they have absolutely no time for.

In the end religious fanaticism of the kind we're dealing with here will not win the day. As standards if education and lifestyle improve in the Muslim communities, as they will, inexorably, fanaticism will become an embarrassment. It will wither on the vine. It succeeds now - if success is a word you can use in this context - because it feeds on ignorance and relative poverty. Give me a 10 year-old boy from a small, introverted community in the Afghan hills and by the time he's 20 I'll give you back a mindless fanatic, ready to kill anyone you call an enemy. That's the real crux of this problem, and it will only be resolved by education and the right of Muslim women to play a full part in the development of their societies.

Stuartli 10:30 21 Jul 07

Equally interesting. Thank you.

wallbash 11:41 21 Jul 07

Thanks for the privilege of watching a lady speaking so powerfully for acceptance.
Long may she spread her views.

Totally-braindead 12:19 21 Jul 07

A brave lady indeed, I presume the older guy we see nearer the end was some sort of Moslim cleric as all he could do was call her a heretic.
It was very interesting and I agree with what she says.
The bit near the end summed it up for me, live and let live, allow others to have their own beliefs, whatever they may be, don't destroy and kill those that have different beliefs. And she was spot on about desecrating churches and blowing people up as well, the Moslims are the only ones who are doing this. I'm not saying other religions haven't destroyed mosques and churches as they of course have many years ago. Look at the crucades and what was done then in the name of religion. But we should live in the now, not in the past as she points out they are still doing.
When you see people who are willing to blow themselves up killing innocent men, women and children it makes you wonder if the world might not be a better place without all the religion. I realise its a minority that do this sort of thing but killing people will not change the beliefs and views of the people you kill.
I don't care if someone is black, white, green or purple with red stripes. I don't care if they worship Allah, Jesus, Buddah or Walt Disney. As long as they accept that I believe in what I want to believe and don't try to force me to change things I'm happy.
Its sad that in these modern times some people are still using violence to make their point, its like stepping back into the middle ages.

PalaeoBill 18:33 21 Jul 07

The truly sad thing is that Los Angeles is one of the few places on the planet where she can say such things in relative safety.

spuds 21:20 21 Jul 07

That video as been doing the circuit since early 2006, and it was once mentioned in this forum.

A very forthright women,and she is not alone. There was another female person who had the very same views, sadly she was recently shot and killed making a similar speech.That particular incident was shown on a mini documentary on television.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation techniques

How to mine Bitcoin on Mac