Brass Monkeys!

Mr Mistoffelees 14:11 10 Dec 13
  Quickbeam 20:15 10 Dec 13

Quite a warm 9C in South Yorkshire...

bumpkin 20:23 10 Dec 13

Not somewhere I would chose for our winter break but looks good in the catalagues:-)

finerty 19:50 12 Dec 13

r thats where santa and his elves live in hiernation till Christmas

Aitchbee 21:09 12 Dec 13

Mr Mistoffelees, these cool cats, are only nine below zero.

click here

bumpkin 21:18 12 Dec 13

HB quite hot then.

bumpkin 21:23 12 Dec 13
  bumpkin 21:28 12 Dec 13

Not really what I intended, wrong version

Aitchbee 21:39 12 Dec 13

... reverting/referring back to the original BBC link, I was particularly interested to discover that BBC's top weatherman & GQT host Peter Gibbs had spent 48 months in the arctic circle [average outside temp of -20C] ... phew!

Forum Editor 21:55 12 Dec 13

....48 months in the arctic circle [average outside temp of -20C]

I've experienced minus 16C (in Russia) and it was definitely no fun. I'm full of admiration for those polar research station people. Mind you, the minus 20C experienced by Peter Gibbs is positively balmy compared to the cold that residents of Snag, a village in the Yukon, experienced one day in February 1947. The temperature dropped to minus 63C that day.

A small town (around 500 people) called Oymyakon, in Russia is definitely off my 'must visit' list since I heard they once had to turn the heating up to combat an outside temperature of minus 71C. Imagine how they must feel when the price of heating oil goes up yet again

Aitchbee 22:02 12 Dec 13

... I once experienced a temp of about -20C [waiting for a bus for about an hour on the southside of Glasgow - a record low as far as temeratures go in that city about 20 years ago ] ... that was cold enough for me.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Amazon Go and will it come to the UK? The store without checkouts or queues

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Why ecommerce hasn't taken off on social media

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…