A brace of partridge

Quickbeam 14:35 31 Dec 09

in a pear tree...

We're having these for dinner tomorrow from a DAB shoot. Does anyone have a tried recipe using the seasonal theme of pears? I'm thinking pears and nutmeg will work well with them.

MAT ALAN 14:42 31 Dec 09

click here=

you could get some ideas from here...

as for the nutmeg, not such a good idea, with pears it would more likely to be a desert than a main course...

sunnystaines 15:00 31 Dec 09

if you can get the fruit of the nutmeg that would go nice, but its rarely sold in uk.

Quickbeam 15:06 31 Dec 09

don't limit it to the modern use in puddings, it's a very common olde English spice used a lot in Tudor dishes.... which is what taste I'm after, something completely different to tinned tomatoes on toast for new years day;)

Quickbeam 15:20 31 Dec 09

I'm looking at this one click here$2$0$80$865 But I'm not sure about the Juniper berries, I've never seen them in the shops and no idea about the flavour, other than gin. Is there something I can replace them with?

Teaboy 17:35 31 Dec 09

Quickbeam-

One of the most beautiful birds on the planet. Did you really have to shoot it?

GANDALF <|:-)> 17:49 31 Dec 09

Round here partridges are grown for the shoot, so in answer to your question and being a carnivore, yes. Of course I could always try to scare it to death rather than a barrel full of lead.

G

Quickbeam 18:01 31 Dec 09

Oh, I only shoot clay. But if it's shot, it's a waste not to eat it.

As Gandalf says, they're just a farmed bird, they'd probably become extinct if there wasn't a game market to keep their numbers up...

ps, I'm thinking some sloe gin can replace the juniper berry element.

Forum Editor 18:43 31 Dec 09

Roast the partridges with a clove of garlic and some butter, and serve them with parsnip chips (easy to make), a crisp green salad, and put a couple of slices of hot, poached pear with each serving. We poach the pears in red wine with a little cinnamon and a clove.

The dish will look very good, and taste very good. If you have any good-quality vanilla ice cream serve that for dessert with a little cognac poured onto it just before serving - or. if you prefer you can add Kahlua or Baileys to the ice cream. Any of those makes a perfect end to a partridge meal.

Any decent red Burgundy will add to the occasion.

Enjoy your meal.

wolfie3000 18:47 31 Dec 09

"AH HAA!!!"

Quickbeam 19:07 31 Dec 09

I just got that wolfie3000... slow brain day!

Right, I'm just making some mulled perry right now... I'm doing this recipe on the hoof, I can either poach the pears in it or drink it at midnight:)

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation technologies coming to Siggraph 2017

iPad Pro 12.9 vs Surface Pro 5