The BP oil leak

Quickbeam 11:51 13 Jul 10

They look to be close to stopping the leak click here

I read this morning that there is speculation that there will be a hostile takeover bid while BP is financially weakened Would I be cynical in thinking that if it became American owned and another leak occurred, Obama wouldn't scream anything like so loudly...?

GANDALF <|:-)> 11:53 13 Jul 10

US investors already own 38% whilst 39% is owned by the UK investors.

G

Quickbeam 12:26 13 Jul 10

But if BP came to be perceived as American, which in all likelihood a hostile takeover would, would that change the view of the American people, especially if it was renamed something like USP?

The vast majority of Obama's outpourings have been directed at the nasty Brit company BP, that they have nothing to do with.

sunnystaines 12:33 13 Jul 10

it was libya that was considering a

sunnystaines 12:34 13 Jul 10

buy up of as many shares as possible. odd that if you go into the history of bp libya was where it made its money

interzone55 13:10 13 Jul 10

A really cynical person would suspect that this has been planned all along to weaken the company sufficiently to enable a hostile takeover...

interzone55 13:12 13 Jul 10

Are you sure about that?

It used to be the Angle-Persian Oil Company and made most of its money drilling in the Persian gulf

rickf 14:11 13 Jul 10

Exxon is considering a bid. Read it in Sunday Times.

mymate 17:35 13 Jul 10

But the shares are going up.I was looking at them to buy at £3 last week now they are over £4.

Forum Editor 17:45 13 Jul 10

for a hostile takeover, and I doubt that President Obama would stand in the way of it.

Tony Hayward (BP CEO) will be lobbying like mad in the Gulf oil states, trying to attract big investors who may act to protect his company.BP shares will bounce back as talk of a takeover gains ground, and as the leak-plugging proceeds, so if there's to be a takeover it should happen before too long.

morddwyd 20:36 13 Jul 10

"Exxon Mobil is the obvious candidate"

Not entirely squeaky clean as far as oil spills go!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Method Studios' title sequence for BBC series Taboo is truly unsettling

Best Pages for iOS tips | How to use Pages for iPad & iPhone: 6 simple tips to get more out of…