Bottled Water becoming Liquid Gold!

wids001 08:05 23 Nov 10

As reported by the BBC

click here

Me, I'll stick to tap water! Peckham Spring comes to mind!

The French sell us Evian in big quantities .. What does that spell backwards - Naive!!!!

Says it all

gengiscant 08:20 23 Nov 10

Bottled water is a classic example of a global con,sorry, marketing success story.

I will admit the only time I have tasted bottled water was when we had a mains supply problem in our area and the the council issued cases of the stuff whilst the problem was sorted.

I must be missing something because it tasted no different from the stuff I get from the tap.

Perhaps it is very useful in countries that have water purity issues, but here in the UK, nonsense,and why the ridiculous price?

BT 08:36 23 Nov 10

Probably because it wasn't any different.
A lot of bottled water IS tap water, especially the basic stuff the water companies dish out when there's a mains problem.

I must admit to buying bottled water, but not the obscenely overpriced big names. We buy Lidl's carbonated spring water for 26p a 1.5 litre bottle. Its got a nice refreshing taste and is nothing like tap water, and adds a nice extra tingle to squashes.

jack 08:43 23 Nov 10

Wssat?
Don't like the stuff, never touch it.
Coffee Red Bush Tea and Guinness in that order
Occasionally shower and some does go into the washing machine when I remember
;-}

jack 08:46 23 Nov 10

Those clutching of a bottle of H2O in one hand and mobile device in the other does seem to be a sign of the perambulating public at large
It must me a 'must do' thing rather than need in either case.

interzone55 08:49 23 Nov 10

I buy bottled water when travelling as I really don't like the taste of tap water in many parts of the country.

Being born & bred in Lancashire I've got used to the water here. I don't like the stuff in Birmingham, and London water is nasty.

It's a matter of preference, I'm sure Londoners like their water and hate mine, just like some people like Fosters lager and I can't stand the stuff...

Quickbeam 09:05 23 Nov 10

I buy Morrisons carbonated water because the tap water has a chlorinated taste around our way. 30 years ago it came from underground bore holes and was much better to drink, in effect it was a still mineral water from the tap and was as good as any untreated mountain stream water. But at some indeterminate time they changed it to a supply that's treated more heavily than the borehole water was. To my mind it then became undrinkable and I prefer the refreshing carbonated kind if I'm going pay for it.

anchor 09:50 23 Nov 10

Why is bottled water so expensive here?; even the unbranded versions are not cheap.

In France and Crete I am able to buy 1.50 litres of some brands in the supermarket for about 18p - 20p.

Yes, local tap water can have a slight residual chlorine taste, but our Brita filter jug removes that, together with the excess calcium that builds up on up kettles.

pavvi 10:45 23 Nov 10

and they did a blind tasting with top hotel sommaliers. The one picked out by most as the best was London tap water. The bottom was one of the most expensive.

GANDALF <|:-)> 11:21 23 Nov 10

Bottled water is the Emperor's new Clothes.

G

Quickbeam 11:43 23 Nov 10

Am I still OK to buy bottled Ent-draught? I swear by it's tonic value...

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation technologies coming to Siggraph 2017

iPad Pro 12.9 vs Surface Pro 5