Bombs on TV and Film

WhiteTruckMan 00:57 30 Jul 07

I've just been watching something where the hero has to disarm a (home made) bomb. I think we've all seen the scenario : agonising over two usually different coloured wires. Cut one and the bomb is safe, cut the other and boom! Aside from the always conveniently accessable wires, does anyone think bombs are really like that, or is it just dramatic license? The only explosive devices I have handled havent been like that, but they have all been military stuff, not the home brew variety.

PLease note everyone-I'm not fishing for details on how to build a bomb, so please dont anyone post too specific details, or even external links to such.

WTM

Belatucadrus 02:07 30 Jul 07

Most fictional bombers are also tortured genii that create something with more computing power than a HAL 9000, duplicate circuits, motion sensors, booby traps and an inordinate number of flashing lights. reality seems to be half a dozen propane tanks, some unleaded and a box of swan vestas

wiz-king 05:28 30 Jul 07

You forgot the jumbo LED's that are counting down toward zero - but yes some home-made devises do have booby traps that will detonate if interfered with.

egapup 08:30 30 Jul 07

We used to make bombs from weedkiller and sugar when we were kids, wonder what would happen now if we got caught.

Bingalau 09:22 30 Jul 07

There are already too many tips on TV etc., on how to make bombs.. God knows what is available on the internet. I've never looked. But I don't think we should be talking about it on here either. The mere mention arouses curiosity in some people's minds. I often wonder how many people go on to experiment after watching news readers on TV explain that the bomb was made of such and such a thing.

laurie53 09:27 30 Jul 07

Believe it or not I was actually taught how to make explosives during my apprenticeship.

More importantly I was also taught how to detonate them, much more difficult and much hairier!

I long ago learned to keep my mouth shut during the relevant part of such films so as not to ruin the spectacle for those around me!

I should perhaps mention it was a military apprenticeship.

The Brigadier 09:53 30 Jul 07

I remember getting taught in the Army how to build things, all very boring.
But then i got taught how to blow things up, a lot more interesting.
Taught all about IED's, Booby Traps & home made bombs. None of which i would tell here for the relevant security reasons!

Bingalau 12:57 30 Jul 07

Thank you Brigadier, I was also pretty well taught most things about explosives. One of the main things being that a little knowledge is very dangerous. That is one reason nothing at all should be aired about such things, especially in this day and age.

interzone55 13:10 30 Jul 07

I used to have a copy of the Anarchist's Cook Book, includes lots of nice illustrated diagrams about how to make bombs and Napalm & other things.

I wonder how long I'd spend in jail for possessing that book now?

Anyway, regarding the wires, I'm not sure there is a standard BSI requirement for how to wire up a bomb, so I suppose you could put the wires anyway round you liked, but I would imagine the risk of losing a limb or two is quite high if you forget which way round they go whilst setting the timer - usually an old two-bell wind-up alarm clock perhaps they should be banned.

spuds 13:28 30 Jul 07

I always say "Leave it to the experts".

Having seen the Israeli forces dig-up enemy mines, then relocate/reuse them in different sections, beats watching films and tv anytime.

The same applies to demolition, mining and quarry personnel, and the skill they use.Strangely enough, it is surprising the number of females now working in these industries, and are as much if not more so, better experienced than their male colleagues.

interzone55 14:07 30 Jul 07

You shouldn't be surprised, women on the whole have a very good eye for detail.

Also, when it comes to spotting the difference between coloured wires, they are far more adept than us men. Witness the scene in B & Q when a man spots a nice blue paint, just to have his wife say "No I want Royal Regatta, not Sapphire Springs" - there's a million shades of blue that are only perceptible to women.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The updated 'Corel Painter inside Photoshop' plugin ParticleShop offers new brushes

New MacBook Pro 2017 release date, UK price and tech specs: Kaby Lake MacBook Pro to launch in…