Bombed Out

rawprawn 14:19 15 May 10

Since this is the 65th aniversary of VE Day, I was wondering how many of us were "Bombed Out" during the war?
I was bombed out around 1941 although I am not sure of the date. We lived on the outskirts of Bradford where there was a massive engineering works about 1 mile away which the Luftwaffe were after.
Our house did not suffer a direct hit, but was made uninhabitable, and my mother always said it ruined her weekly baking which was on cooling trays in the kitchen.
My father served in the Pacific during the war, which is why we ended up in Australia after the war.

jakimo 14:38 15 May 10

We came close on many occasions,the all clear siren would bring us out of the Anderson shelter in our back garden only to find that houses just 50 yards away had been turned into rubble.

We had an AA gun and a searchlight based at the end of our road,which I think gave the grown ups a false sense of security

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 15:05 15 May 10

Not "bombed out" but "bombed in".

Too young for the war however the Luftwaffe were after the railway sidings and depot where I worked.
A couple of years ago an unexploded bomb was found in a field next to the entrance road for the depot, no one was allowed in or out (past the bomb) until it had been dealt with.

Of course it was found just before shift changeover, we were trapped at work for a good few hours.

jack 16:22 15 May 10

About 50 yards down the road is/was a secondary[called 'Senior 'those days] girls school.

The whole of the ground floor of one wing had been taken over by the AFS[Auxilary Fire Service- Taxis pulling Pumps.

It was lunch time and many of the kids were out of school - when the AFS wing took a direct hit.

Quickbeam 08:55 16 May 10

My father was a 16 year old police messenger in Coventry. After the Coventry blitz night he went home to find his family shocked to the core, but alive. The rows of houses either side of his street were gone along with 3 friends and their families.

john bunyan 09:02 16 May 10

I woke up one night in London to find the bedroom window gone. (I was about 6). A bomb had landed in the next door front garden but not gone off- we had to move out for a few days while the bomb was dealt with. Used to collect shrapnel to swap with friends. Shpet in shelter sometimes but often stayed in the house.Like Quickbeam's family our bomb was the only dud in the stick, and other roads nearby were badly hit, including a stable of milk float horses

Forum Editor 09:31 16 May 10

She was in her late sixties, and living alone in Merton - my great grandfather had died.

One night she heard the air raid warning and, rather than go out into the garden to the Anderson shelter she decided to sit in the cupboard under the stairs with a cup of tea.

A bomb landed nearby and demolished four houses, one of which was hers. The entire house collapsed, leaving her still in the cupboard with rubble on top. The emergency services dug her out next morning. She was completely unharmed, but badly shocked. She talked about it until her death at the age of 99.

Quickbeam 09:41 16 May 10

A friend had a great aunt, now dead over 25 years, that lost her foot when the Germans shelled Scarborough from a battleship in the Great War. She was a chamber maid in the grand Hotel.

Her biggest complaint was that they sacked her, as a 'cripple' was no good to them in hotel with so many floors!

Forum Editor 10:14 16 May 10

"they sacked her, as a 'cripple' was no good to them in hotel with so many floors!"

One to remember when next we see people rhapsodising over 'the good old days' before all those do-gooders spoilt everything.

jakimo 11:50 16 May 10

I met Ron in the 70s,who was a one armed Tv repair man he lost his arm while he and a pal were in a raid at a London Saturday morning picture show,Ron thought himself lucky for his pal was never found after the raid

shellship 12:41 16 May 10

We had a land mine (or that is what they called it) in the drive up to the farm next to us in Surrey. The old lead glazed lattice windows were all bent inwards but none broke. We were not "bombed out" but there were a few hairy moments particularly when the doodlebugs (V1s) came calling as we were on their route to London.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best Christmas Agency Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…