'Bomb detector' maker Jim McCormick faces fraud charges.

KRONOS the First 10:01 AM 12 Jul 12

Have I missed something here. He sold £52M quids worth to Iraq alone, he claimed the device could detects bombs a kilometre away and no one thought to test his claims?

Condom 10:49 AM 12 Jul 12

I remember the furore that this caused in Thailand when it happened 2 years ago. Half the Thai army seemed to think it worked while the other half said it didn't. The half that said it worked were of course the officer corps who spent millions on it and had to save "face" which is so important in the far east.

One of the local Universities took it apart and said it was not much better than a diving rod to which the officer corps said we can't allow your findings as you have broken the agreement we have with the company that we will not look inside the machine due to patents.

KRONOS the First 11:08 AM 12 Jul 12

I was not commenting on Jim McCormick's guilt or otherwise. My question is why had no one tested this thing. It seems odd that if there is so much as a fleck of lead is found in paint on a child's toy then immediate sanctions are put in place and quite rightly so. But here we have what looks like an expensive bit of junk and no one thought to take the trouble to test it to its absolute limits.

daz60 18:02 PM 13 Jul 12

Someone has and he was ignored.

Condom 18:52 PM 13 Jul 12

My previous posting has an error in that diving should read divining

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Sony Vaio Z Canvas release date, price and specs: Another Surface Pro rival but for the US

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Adobe unveils Sketch-rival Project Comet for UX design

How to fix iOS 9 problem iPhone stuck screen, unresponsive, no swipe, frozen, can't turn off