boats, do you need a license

mkennyd 00:16 29 Aug 08

What it is, is my neighbour has just bought a boat, sommat called a Bayliner Cruiser, well he says that he's always had boats and has always sailed on rivers while he lived up in Yorkshire with some craft or other. Anyway he says now with his Bayliner thing that he can take it too the coast and just cruise off too wherever he likes. Now tell me if i'm wrong, but i thought a river licence was a whole different thing compared too taking a boat out too sea, i'd be sure that you'd need a competant sea going license or at least training experience before you could take yourself or others out there for a trip on the ocean.
Really need to know cause he's asked me an me family out with im.
Bit worried.
Mike

lotvic 00:35 29 Aug 08

River and sea safety Direct.gov.uk click here

also click here
"The rules of the water are not as restrictive as those of the road. Unlike in a car, there is no current rule whereby a boater must first pass the equivalent to a driving test to demonstrate their competency in a boat. In boating a greater emphasis is placed on the competency of the boat itself. "
"Boating around the coast or further out to sea is open to all and does not require a licence. Passage down one of Britain’s many inland waterways however requires a boating licence or registration with the appropriate authority in charge of it."

Forum Editor 00:40 29 Aug 08

Don't go sea cruising with someone who has no experience or formal training - accidents at sea can be sudden and catastrophic, and even experienced sailors are caught out. You would be ill-advised to take your family to sea with someone who has no training.

Many European countries require what is called an ICC (International certificate of Competence) for certain classes of pleasureboat, and your friend can take a Day skipper or Coastal skipper training course at any RYA accredited training centre.

rdave13 00:53 29 Aug 08

River sailing and sailing on the sea are two different things.
Don't take any of your family sailing on the sea unless it's Cunard or some other respected cruise company where the Captain knows what to do. Even then disasters happen.
Refuse and don't listen to anybody who says different; even your wife.

Quickbeam 07:39 29 Aug 08

"Don't take any of your family sailing on the sea unless it's Cunard... Even then disasters happen."

Yes, even Captain Smith fell foul of that bloody iceberg:(

mkennyd 10:52 29 Aug 08

Thanks everybody for your response, you all kind of said what i was nervously worried about.
Il'l stick to the pedaloes at the boating lake.
Cheers
Mike

peter99co 11:22 29 Aug 08

There is a chance the Bermuda Triangle statistics are based on missing boats piloted by Americans who have the cash to buy boats, but have no experience or common sense on navigation and sailing skills.

mkennyd 11:26 29 Aug 08

il'l second that!

Bingalau 11:35 29 Aug 08

"When anyone asks me how I can best describe my experience of nearly forty years at sea, I merely say uneventful".

"Of course there have been winter gales and storms and fog and the like, but in all my experience, I have never been in an accident of any sort worth speaking about".

I have seen but one vessel in distress in all my years at sea....."

"I never saw a wreck and have never been wrecked, nor was I in any predicament that threatened to end in disaster of any sort."

Extract from a presentation by Captain E.J. Smith, 1907.

On April 14th 1912, the RMS Titanic sank with the loss of 1,500 lives.... one of which was the master, Captain E.J. Smith.

Thought I would add this in case there is someone out there wondering who was Captain Smith.

peter99co 12:15 29 Aug 08

A friend of mine went out for the first time in a sailing boat with an 'expert' and found themselves on a sandbar when the tide turned. She is now so terrified she will never go again. What a waste! She was so keen before the incident.

TopCat® 12:24 29 Aug 08

boats out at sea I will not set foot again in a craft that isn't well equipped with safety gear, has charts of the areas it will cover and ship-to-shore radio communications. The vessel should also be very well maintained and have valid insurance.

The Forum Editor's words are echoed by me and I would add that knowledge of the weather forecast for that day and tide times are essential as well. Letting people onshore know your proposed destination and departure and return time is very helpful, should the coastguard need to be called.

Thirty odd years ago my mate and I set out from Gorran Haven in a borrowed 10 foot dinghy to do a spot of fishing. The boat had no anchor or radio, just a pair of oars and a small 3hp outboard which my mate fitted to the transom. We moved away from the beach and I noted it was an offshore wind that day. To cut a long story short, the engine dropped off and into the water - it wasn't secured properly by the 'G' clamp! - and the strengthening wind and a ebbing tide was driving the boat out to sea. We both manned an oar but our frantic rowing couldn't get us back to the beach.

We broke out beyond vertical cliffs onto a heaving sea and, some seven miles away later, we were picked up by air/sea rescue helicopter. Luckily for us there was a coastguard watch station on the cliffs at Gorran and they finally spotted me waving my yellow waterproof trousers attached to the end of my oar. Our little dinghy was rising up and down on the high waves and the waved trousers were only visible for a few seconds each time.

The Fowey lifeboat arrived too and took the dinghy in tow and the helicopter landed us back on the beach at Gorren. We made it on the local TV news and into the newspapers but we lived to curse our own stupidity for putting that ill eqipped boat in the water on that fateful day.

The boat engine was trawled up several days later, returned to us and I stripped it down, overhauled it and got it working again; the least I could do for its owner! The boat was collected from Fowey and returned and I gave a generous contribution to the RNLI and to the RAF boys at their base at Chivenor in Devon. (That's why it was nearly dusk when it finally spotted us!)

I have some more tales of my experiences on the sea; a fickle and sometimes severe mistress you can never take for granted. One day I may post them here, if only to give a personal account of the many dangers one can encounter when venturing out to sea. TC.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Intel Coffee Lake 8th-gen Core processors release date rumours

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Framestore’s haunting post-WWII title sequence for new BBC series SS-GB

How to install MacOS Sierra on an older Mac: Get Sierra running on Macs & MacBooks from before 2009