BMW's German website banned from Google

ade.h 19:06 07 Feb 06

click here for the lowdown.

The Munich car company has been accused of infringing Google's regulations regarding the use of keywords. It added pages that only the bots could see, containing keywords that were specifically intended to place the site near the top of a greater range of searches. Site visitors would simply be riderected to the home page. The offending pages have apparently been removed in response to the ban. The situation regarding resubmission is currently uncertain.

Forum Editor 19:17 07 Feb 06

that BMW executives are jumping off cliffs in droves as we speak.

ade.h 19:53 07 Feb 06

There's no need for sarcasm, FE. I just thought that this was interesting.

Al94 20:09 07 Feb 06

So if they're banned, how come a Google search for BMW brings this up as the first result click here or am I missing something?

ade.h 20:10 07 Feb 06

That's bmw.com; the banned site is bmw.de, the German parent site.

Forum Editor 20:30 07 Feb 06

I was simply making the point that this is not going to cause a ripple on the surface of the BMW corporate pond. The keywords were put there by a web-designer, and I doubt that anyone near the top of BMW even knew about it. In the overall scheme of things it's insignificant as far as BMW is concerned.

If I offended you in some way I apologise profusely.

ade.h 20:37 07 Feb 06

That's okay, FE. But you comment did seem a bit too sarcastic.

I don't see it as a big deal either - and certainly not from BMW's point of view. There's no such thing as bad publicity, or so they say.

I just thought it was an interesting and amusing illustration of the tricks that sometimes get used and how Google has reacted to this one in particular.

Over-reacted, in my view. Google's action is, as you say, hardly going to make any difference to BMW, apart from limiting German-speakers from finding the right URL through Google if they need to search for it. Frankly, if I was German, I'd just have a stab in the dark with "bmw.de" int the address bar.

jz 22:00 12 Feb 06

Hmm, I'm not sure. The BMW - Google thing made the newspapers, it was bad publicity for BMW. It's not a disaster for them, but is more than just a ripple.

ade.h 22:08 12 Feb 06

Who said anything about a disaster?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

The Legend of Zelda Breath of the Wild review: Five hours with Zelda on the Nintendo Switch

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How the painting-like animated sequences in A Monster Calls were created by Glassworks Barcelona

The 22 best Safari extensions | Best Safari plugins: Improve Apple's Safari web browser with these…