Blue cockerel takes roost on Fourth Plinth.

Chronos the 2nd 05:52 26 Jul 13

Story.

I appreciate I am a philistine when it comes to art but how is does this blue chicken represent 'regeneration and strength?' If I happened upon a blue cockerel I am not sure that I would immediately think, wow that really is a strong representation of 'strength and regeneration'.

I am more likely to think what did this ridiculous arty farty nonsense cost.

simonjary 06:55 26 Jul 13

I quite like it. It's fun and quirky - the sort of thing that's good for a city like London.

And it's a temporary talking point.

It's certainly more fun than a statue of some old general.

Chronos the 2nd 07:14 26 Jul 13

I am not saying it is not fun or quirky but why the need to imbue it with some ridiculous justification by saying it represents strength and regeneration? It might represent this to the 'artist' but unless you were told this, how many people on seeing this 'sculpture' would immediately 'get it'?

Quickbeam 07:23 26 Jul 13

I'm with the philistine's camp.

fourm member 07:48 26 Jul 13

'It's certainly more fun than a statue of some old general.'

But, according to the artist, it is a statue of all the old generals puffed up in their finery adorning plinths all over the country.

Art is supposed to make you think and react and, as has happened with the complaints about the cockerel being French, sometimes it produces reactions the artist didn't expect.

I like the joke in the fact that the fuss about it will be only temporary so it is almost Hahn/Cock's half-hour.

I don't know if Katharina Fritsch speaks for her fellow countrymen but I find it fascinating that she says you couldn't be German when she was growing up so being European was the way to have an identity.

And you've got to love Boris. Always capable of making a joke that carries a serious political point;

"I think if you tried to Google it in the future, the Prime Minister would stop you from finding it"

Aitchbee 08:59 26 Jul 13

I reckon he'll be known locally as Rocky the Rooster.

His little legs may have been modelled on Rocky's legs from " Chicken Run ".

wee eddie 11:21 26 Jul 13

He is actually the French Rugby Team's mascot.

Why he is in Trafalgar Square, I don't know. maybe it's an example of the growing 'entente cordial' with the EEC

spuds 11:50 26 Jul 13

Isn't art in the eye of the beholder, or at least that is something that I am often told when questioning this type of usually public funded enthusiasm.

Our local hospital trust spent over £75.000 a couple of years ago on some form of sculpture, which very few seems to understands. Apparently this was a very good buy, and perhaps more so, when in the same breath the trust was talking about bed shortages and staff redundancies.

The same applies to one of our local major road round-a-abouts, and a set of four stainless steel structures that suddenly appeared. Trying to find what they represent is proving to be a mystery, but by all accounts they are serving a great purpose for the few £thousands they cost.

Signed Mr Misery Guts

Chronos the 2nd 11:57 26 Jul 13

My council (Edinburgh) put up a kinetic sculpture which rarely worked.Cost 11 grand which was a fair chunk of dosh in 73. More 'art.'

Joseph Kerr 16:49 26 Jul 13

The real issue, of course, is that Boris Johnson unveiled a massive blue cock. Armando Ianucci et al would be proud to have come up with that one!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is ransomware and how do I protect my PC from WannaCry?

What I learned from my mentor, Oscar-winning VFX supervisor Phil Tippett

Siri vs Google Assistant