Bloody Sunday Enquiry

Bingalau 14:15 15 Jun 10

Will we also be having an enquiry in to all the IRA atrocities committed on the mainland of U.K. by the fanatical hooligans? Are the instigators of all those bombings in Birmingham; Warrington; London etc., going to be prosecuted? Maybe we can include that McGuinness chappie and some of the other now whiter than white men of evil! (my mother's maiden name was McGuinness and I hate to think that perhaps I am related to a mass murderer like him).

Al94 14:41 15 Jun 10

Why limit it to the "mainland"? Don't forget Enniskillen, Omagh, Bloody Friday, Shankill Road, Teebane, Warrenpoint, Claudy, La Mon and numerous others.

No there won't be more enquiries and no, Martin McGuinness won't be tried.

We need to move on.

What set Bloody Sunday apart was the significance of the Widgery report. The Bloody Sunday relatives believe that the Report of Lord Widgery was a deliberately incomplete and wilfully misleading official version of events designed for the sole purpose of exculpating the actions of the British Army.

Hopefully the Saville enquiry will reveal a more credible version of events which will bring a degree of closure.

Without wishing to speculate on the content of the report, should it say that innocent people were murdered by the British Army, I do nt believe that retired soldiers should be prosecuted after all these years, the Good Friday Agreement freed many killers from the past and the terms of the agreement should now apply to the soldiers also.

Big L 266 14:54 15 Jun 10

Hello.

Bingalau....I would answer your post this way. It is all well and good that there has been an extensive inquiry into the 'Bloody Sunday' tragedy.I hope there is something within this 5000 page report that sheds light on what actually did happen.(I'm writing this at 14.45 hours - some 45 minutes before it due to be published at 15.30 hours). I would suggest that not all atrocities were carried out by the IRA.

There is little mention ever of the way the UK Government of the day handled this tragedy.What for example was the policy of the Prime Minister,Home Office Minister,Minister of Defence and the Northern Ireland office of the early 1970s? Were there any policies by the Royal Ulster Constabulary and what roles were played by MPs in Stormont and in Dublin and of the other paramilitary forces operating at that time in Northern Ireland?

I am no IRA sympathiser.I just point out that the IRA were not the only ones involved in this during the 1970s.I would like to see public enquires into Birmingham, Brighton, London, Warrington to name but a few within the UK mainland bombed by the IRA.I'm sure the many poeple affected by these events would love to see the money for further enquiries and who could blame them.Justice isn't just confined to Northern Ireland.

I would end by saying that whatever the rights and wrongs of Martin McGuiness,none of us have the right to say he's a mass murderer unless backed up with substantial facts which none of us have.In recent years,the peace process has seen Northern Ireland come back from the dregs of opposing paramilitary action there,into what appears to me to be a new thriving community which goes forward whilst having a foothold in its past.

These 'white men of evil' are now part of a Northern Ireland not littered with bomb-blasts, death,injury,destruction and civil unrest of the past. It is by and large a testament of what can be done when there is willingness to change and not carry on in the old ways. That in itself is a testament of what can be done to right wrongs of the troubled past of Northern Ireland.

Big L 266

sunnystaines 15:10 15 Jun 10

waste of public funds.

Al94 15:20 15 Jun 10

A very simplistic casual throw away line. Yes its is a very unfortunate use of public funds but a read of this well penned article goes a long way to explain why it was necessary click here

michaelw 15:34 15 Jun 10

We need an enquiry led by Lord Hutton, and then they'll be a whitewash and all the facts will be kept secret for 70 years.

bremner 15:54 15 Jun 10

Everything the IRA/UVF/UDA/INLA etc did was wrong and they deserve(d) any punishment they get/got.

However it can never ever be right for British soldiers to shoot and kill unarmed innocent members of the public.

This enquiry has found that that is what they did.click here

All those who took part and those who later covered it up should hang their heads in shame.

Al94 16:33 15 Jun 10

Quote from Michael Mansfield QC on BBC NI, "this is what's been missing from British democracy, accountability and truth"

So true.

Þ² 18:16 15 Jun 10

What set this apart was that it was the British Army doing the killing, killing that was unjustifiable. It was the British murdering unarmed civilians.

Are you saying the British Army are the same as the IRA, and the loyalist paramilitaries? If so you are legitimising the IRA's war.

Forum Editor 18:19 15 Jun 10

and understandably some people will feel it necessary to use fairly robust language. I accept that, but at the same time I'll be looking quite closely at every post.

I shall certainly not permit any further unsubtantiated remarks alledging that a named individual is a mass murderer. As far as I'm aware the person concerned has not been charged with any such offence, and we'll have no more sweeping allegations of that nature.

amonra 18:26 15 Jun 10

FE.
Lock this thread before things get nasty.
The report will please some people and not others. After all this time cant we just learn to live together peacefully. Amen.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…