Bloodhound diary: The build begins

peter99co 15:07 18 Jan 11

click here

Another lit fuse.

Quote- no-one has ever used an F1 engine as a pump motor before now!

Forum Editor 17:28 18 Jan 11

it was too difficult, relatively speaking, to build a car that will travel at 1000mph. The real challenge must surely be keeping it running down a straight line, and stopping it from becoming airborne.

canarieslover 19:14 18 Jan 11

"no-one has ever used an F1 engine as a pump motor before now!" But I believe it has been done the other way round. I believe that Coventry Climax racing engines were developed from the fire pump engines that they were producing.

peter99co 19:29 18 Jan 11

I maybe wrong but I think that a Coventy was used to drive a Hillman Imp car. Alloy engine?

canarieslover 19:35 18 Jan 11

Yes it was another development from the fire pump engine.

Quickbeam 19:44 18 Jan 11

My first car was an Imp, I believe it was the first small car to have a OHC light alloy engine design as it came from the racing development department. It's weakness was the poor cooling design in the Imp due to being rear mounted. Any sustained 80mph thrashes down a motorway resulted in a blown head gasket... I managed to do that 3 times in two years!

In the '70s Windle tuned Imp engines were the mainstay of sidecar racing powerclick here until the Japs started supplying works 500cc two stroke racing engines, it was all part of their plan to dominate the world... at everything.

Quickbeam 19:51 18 Jan 11

Here's a race engine with a huge pair of twinchoke carbs as big as the cylinder head fitted click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation techniques

How to mine Bitcoin on Mac