BLOCKBUSTER The latest victim

SillBill 15:00 PM 16 Jan 13
Answered

Calls in the Administrators today!

spuds 15:26 PM 16 Jan 13

I hate to say this, but in my location Blockbuster never seemed to have a strong foothold. Stores either closed or moved to new locations. Even when there were special promotions, it seemed to be difficult in getting that particular promotion.

After Christmas trading, there will be a number of further outlets wondering if another year will bring rewards or disaster. And perhaps more so, for those business's that are having the burden of higher rents and rates.

Armchair 15:27 PM 16 Jan 13

*During this time gift cards and credit acquired through Blockbuster’s trade-in scheme will be honoured towards the purchase of goods.

A spokesman for the administrator said the company's pension scheme was fully-funded and that gift-cards would be honoured at Blockbuster stores. *

http://news.sky.com/story/1038898/blockbuster-collapses-4200-jobs-at-risk

Interesting (to me, anyway).

Phil Ocifer 15:46 PM 16 Jan 13

I blame it all on iTunes and torrents.

wiz-king 15:54 PM 16 Jan 13

Merger with HMV?

bremner 16:24 PM 16 Jan 13

There is no blame to be attached.

Blockbuster had it's heyday when all you could get on TV was four terrestrial channels and new films were kept back for first broadcast at Christmas. To see more up to date films we all went to Video shops and hired VHS films.

Multiple digital channels, Sky, Virgin and BT showing movies 24/7 with premiers every week together with broadband capable of live streaming means Blockbusters core business is no longer viable, why do I want the hassle of going to and from a shop when I can achieve the same outcome sat in my armchair.

HMV and before them Tower Records just can't compete with one line sales and online legal downloads.

The only thing that surprises me is the HMV and Blockbuster lasted as long as they did.

Joseph Kerr 16:42 PM 16 Jan 13

Hopefully someone can educate me on this one.

See, I'm annoyed about this because my nearest branch is only a short walk away and my lifestyle is such that I am pretty much able to rent what I want when I want and see the latest films (if I have not already seen them at the cinema).

Now, peopel are saying that they are in this situation due to the prevalence of online services but...can anyone tell me which online service has the very latest releases (Netflix does not, I can't speak for LoveFilm)?! And even the TV channels have to wait to get films until they are released on BluRay and DVD anyway, and that's at teh very earliest...

So, have I missed a service?

Quickbeam 17:18 PM 16 Jan 13

Unreal.

Forum Editor 18:27 PM 16 Jan 13

Joseph Kerr

"So, have I missed a service?"

Perhaps have - illegal downloads are a large part of the problem, and increasing cinema audiences are another - in 2011 the total number of cinema tickets sold in the UK was 30 million more than in 2000.

Over the past five or six years film rental revenues have plummeted.

Joseph Kerr 21:53 PM 16 Jan 13

Wow, I'm really suprised by the increase in cinema going. I'm a big cinema goer but I didn't think may others were. You live and learn.

Aitchbee 09:59 AM 17 Jan 13

After my local Woolworths closed down 2 or 3 years ago, I did notice that some of the charity shops nearby had lots of new bric-a-bac, CDs, DVDs etc 'donated' by the aforementioned store, on sale, at 'rock-bottom' prices - every cloud has a silver lining!

Advertisement

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get free stuff for Android: Amazon Underground offers genuinely free Android apps and free…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

MIT builds an awesome 3D printer that can use 10 materials at once

Apple rumours & predictions 2015: What to expect from Apple for the rest of the year – new iPhones,o…