A blast from the past - Tomorrow's World archive

TopCat® 00:40 15 Sep 09

I wonder how many of us watched these programmes in awe and some amazement, as I did, as they 'examined the changing state of current technology and put new inventions to the test.' Now the BBC has made some of the programmes available to watch at click here and maybe from them one can identify some early technology that became what we recognise today.

It is said that from little acorns mighty oaks will grow, so happy viewing if you have the time! :o) TC.

Chegs ®™ 05:37 15 Sep 09

I had a quick look at one programme,all of three minutes & was about Mr Maleks "home computer" which scared the bejesuz out of me it was so loud. :)

Quickbeam 07:27 15 Sep 09

The mobile phone idea will never catch on...

Bald Eagle 07:59 15 Sep 09

Unfortunately I'm not allowed to watch them in Brittany even though I own a house in England and pay a TV licence.
BE

Quickbeam 08:17 15 Sep 09

It's a pity the programme was dropped, there isn't really anything that presents new ideas in such depth as they did. Programmes like the Gadget Show are for a dumbed down generation. Or are we dumbed down... is it the producers that have convinced themselves that we won't look at in depth presentations anymore?

morddwyd 08:27 15 Sep 09

I used to watch it in the early days, but stopped many years ago when it got too silly and gimmicky, like so many of the BBC's programmes (e.g.Watchdog), and stopped "presenting new ideas in depth".

Yes, I know a lot of their stuff did come to fruition, but a heck of a lot didn't, and, dare I say it, were simply put in for people to mock.

DANZIG 08:43 15 Sep 09

I love that 'home computer terminal' one.

As has been mentioned, how noisy is it??? And we moan about noisy fans on PC's!!!

"In about 20 years most new homes will be fitted with a home computer access point".

Makes me think that we will never, ever be able to predict what kind of technology will be about in the future - unless we watch Star Trek of course....

Forum Editor 23:17 15 Sep 09

seeing Raymond Baxter plunging his hand into a tank of hydrochloric acid. He was demonstrating a barrier cream that had been developed to protect human skin against corrosive substances.

It was the kind of graphic demonstration that TW used to do so well.

Quickbeam 00:29 16 Sep 09

I'll bet the H&S dept wouldn't let him do that now.

morddwyd 08:19 16 Sep 09

"I'll bet the H&S dept wouldn't let him do that now."

Why not? As long as the activity is properly risk assessed there is no reason not to allow it.

My staff handled radioactive material with bare hands, and did fire walking (for charity, but it took place in the workplace and was therefore legally a work activity) without problems.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Huawei P10 review

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

An overview: What leading creative agencies are doing to improve diversity

New iPad, iPhone SE & Red iPhone 7 on sale now