Blaming the wrong people

interzone55 12:47 01 May 09

click here

Mother blames the salon and wants it shutting down, but shouldn't she be blaming herself for letting her 10 year old daughter go to the fair with a cousin who clearly wasn't up to the job of supervising a young relative?

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 13:46 01 May 09

I think there is "shared" blame here
mostly with child 1 and 2 for ignoring warnings (they may hav learnt a valuable lesson now)
some with the salon for being unmanned and assuming everyone can read and understand their warnings.

Its a typical reaction from any parent who's child is hurt to offset blame.
I'm surprised the mother is not trying to claim compensation.

OTT_Buzzard 13:51 01 May 09

I blame popular culture. Why do people thnk that a tan is good? Ok, sunlight has benefits for vitamin D production amongst other things, but all you got to do for that is to go outside for 10 minutes - probably the amount of time it would take to walk to the tanning salon!

laurie53 19:50 01 May 09

Got my Health & Safety hat on here, so all groan now!

Anyone who puts up a sign saying "Not suitable for children" or similar can reasonably expect to find children taking no notice.

That's their job, that's what they do.

UV can be carcinogenic in excess, and to give children unsupervised access to it is like letting them buy cigarettes.

I don't think it would be unreasonable for the mother to seek compensation.

Building sites, railways and other magnets for children have to take reasonable and active steps to keep them out, besides posting notices, and face both civil and criminal penalties if they fail to do so.

These salons should do the same.

When I was preaching H&S to beauty therapists this was one danger, along with shampoo dermatitis, that I really used to emphasise.

jack 20:13 01 May 09

I am increasing aware that there are many people out there who are seemingly 'Unaware' of what is going on in the world.
Listening the mother speak to day on the news it seems to me she may be one of them. Is she living in a cloud of 'Weed smoke' who knows.
When I go into my local town on a Saturday- the Market seems to draw in folk from all around the local area- I am sure many are from 'closed' communities or live in the fields- they are not of this world it seems- judging by what they say and do.

dukeboxhero 20:14 01 May 09

Maybe she was just copying her mother who looks no stranger to the suntan salons

ronalddonald 22:23 01 May 09

if the salon was unmaned the salon is at fault. Its just like running a newsagent you wouldnt leave open and have no staff or the goods would be stolen. There is a breach of health and safety from the owners of the salon not just the children yet the children clearly didnt know the dangers of the sunbeds ie to naive or ddint understrand the cionsequnces. im sure boucers in at night club would allow under or around 10 year olds into an 18 rated venue.

ronalddonald 22:23 01 May 09

fools and horses where rodney laid ontoa sunbed and fell asleep and ws left sun burnt

GANDALF <|:-)> 22:32 01 May 09

The girl is obviously retarded if she cannot understand 'no under `16s' and the dangers of extended sunbed use. Perhaps this is natures' way of ensuring that a) she does not breed and b) she does not appear on the 'Jeremy Kyle Show' when she is older.

G

Pamy 22:53 01 May 09

"Kelly Thompson had to be treated overnight at a burns unit in Swansea and her mother wants an investigation." Yes the investigation should be into Kelly Thompson's mother and her elder cousin.

DieSse 00:21 02 May 09

If I owned the tanning salon, I would be inclined to sue the morons for illegal entry and/or trespass into a restricted area.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is ransomware and how do I protect my PC from WannaCry?

What I learned from my mentor, Oscar-winning VFX supervisor Phil Tippett

Siri vs Google Assistant