BitLocker Drive Encryption

octal 18:04 15 Feb 06

click here

What does this mean exactly? The way I'm reading it is if I buy a new computer with this little chip installed on the motherboard then I won't be able install any other operating system apart from Windows Vista.

I don't want to install Windows Vista, I've no interest in it and don't want it, so why is it being forced on me? Or will there be a way to turn it off if you want to install an alternative system?

I know the law about downloading unlicensed material, so why am I being "nannied" by Microsoft?

I maybe reading it all wrong, so I stand corrected, but it looks very heavy handed to me.

SG Atlantis® 18:31 15 Feb 06

"The Trusted Computing Group has been working for some years on a hardware-based system which is built into the motherboards of many Intel-based computers.

But most people will not be able to use its features until Microsoft Windows Vista is launched."

This says to me that the technology is already present, just not used. So no you won't be forced to take Vista.

Forum Editor 19:31 15 Feb 06

First of all, if you don't want to use Vista, the don't - nobody's going to force you to do anything.

I suspect that you will eventually want to use it, however, despite the fact that you curently have no interest in it. Vista will be a superb operating system, and will have some excellent new features. Even when/if you install Vista you still won't be forced to use trusted computing technology, so why not wait and see?

Vista is still a whle away from launch, but when it does hit the market we'll be running a special Vista forum, and we'll answer all your queries and deal with any installation problems then.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Method Studios' title sequence for BBC series Taboo is truly unsettling

Best Pages for iOS tips | How to use Pages for iPad & iPhone: 6 simple tips to get more out of…