The Biter Bit - Computer Games

fourm member 11:01 AM 01 May 13

A computer game company developed a role playing game where the role is to be a games developer. Players design and market games and make pretend money by selling them.

On the day the game was launched, the company posed as a hacker and posted a hacked version of the game on a file-sharing site so people could download it without paying.

But that second version was different. It was built in that, when a player started to earn money by selling games, a 'pirate' would start to syphon off the money. The inevitable end of every game was that the player ended up with no money.

The irony is that various message boards etc. have had postings from people playing the stolen game complaining about the theft of their income.

The game developer can take some quiet satisfaction from messing with the thieves but is it likely to make anybody think twice in the future?

Quickbeam 11:15 AM 01 May 13

The same result comes from playing cards and dice for money...

Chronos the 2nd 08:58 AM 02 May 13

How on earth are to give an opinion when you have provided so little information?

Name of game would be useful as would a link to the message boards you mentioned.

Forum Editor 09:16 AM 02 May 13

Chronos the 2nd

Pretty easy to find - Google is your friend.

The game is called 'Game Dev Tycoon' and is from Greenheart games.

Read all about it here.

Chronos the 2nd 09:49 AM 02 May 13

Forum Editor

Any chance of a dig?

But it was equally easy to add the details to the thread and more usual. But hey FM can do no wrong. But thanks anyway.

fourm member 10:06 AM 02 May 13

Chronos the 2nd

I didn't give a link for two reasons.

First, the place I saw the story had lots of the comments from disgruntled thieves and the language was colourful.

Second, I was interested in the general point of how you change people's behaviour rather than this specific incident.

fourm member 10:17 AM 02 May 13

Chronos the 2nd

'But hey FM can do no wrong.'

Imagine the fun you and others would have had if I posted a link containing words you'd all claim made you blush.

Forum Editor 11:21 AM 02 May 13

Chronos the 2nd

"Any chance of a dig?"

Any chance of a silly display of paranoia?

Phil Ocifer 14:35 PM 03 May 13

Excellent ruse - I like it. Perhaps FAST could harvest the filesharers ids?

Advertisement

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 now: how to download and install Windows 10 even if GWX.exe is missing

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Nokia rolls out spherical camera for virtual reality apps

7 best iPhone web browser apps: Why Safari for iOS is still a better option than Chrome, Dolphin,…