Birdsong

amonra 13:41 PM 14 May 12

This morning on my walk into town I was heartened by a blackbird on top of a tree singing his song. He was about 100yds away and the song was quite loud so I asked myself how many watts of audio was he pumping out ? I haven't got a clue, but perhaps one of our readers has seen some article on the subject ? I was trying to visualise a small loudspeaker on top of the tree at that distance, estimate 5 watts ????? What do you lot think ?

Batch 13:53 PM 14 May 12

In town = louder, higher frequency and less varied than in country.

Reason - to overcome background noise in town.

Source: Latest Eureka magazine (that comes with The Times once a month)

Blackhat 13:56 PM 14 May 12

You might do better on the Birdforum. 626 thread results with the key word Volume.

The Birdforum

Aitchbee 15:37 PM 14 May 12

Blackhat - that's a great website...I have just joined up!

Blackhat 15:45 PM 14 May 12

For some reason the link has changed since I posted. Here is the forum home page.

Birdforum

bob. 16:08 PM 14 May 12

For some reason the link has changed since I posted.

Is that because AitchBEE joined or just coincidence? ;-)

Aitchbee 16:10 PM 14 May 12

You're a wee cheeky devil, bob.

birdface 16:16 PM 14 May 12

Have to agree it is nice to hear the birds singing, but do wish they would have a long lie some mornings

Condom 17:29 PM 14 May 12

We have a wren nesting in the clemitas below our bedroom window and there are many a morning when I could so easily pick up a shotgun. For such a tiny bird it sure gives off some volume and is a bit like AitchBee in that is seldom shuts up:-))

Aitchbee 18:07 PM 14 May 12

The blackbird that does matinee and evening performances at the back of my flat is a most welcome 'busker'.

octal 19:34 PM 14 May 12

Surely the birdsong should be measured in dbA/Metre?

Advertisement

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 now: how to download and install Windows 10 even if GWX.exe is missing

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Nokia rolls out spherical camera for virtual reality apps

OS X Yosemite vs Windows 10: The Mac and PC operating systems go head to head UPDATED