Birdsong

amonra 14 May 12

This morning on my walk into town I was heartened by a blackbird on top of a tree singing his song. He was about 100yds away and the song was quite loud so I asked myself how many watts of audio was he pumping out ? I haven't got a clue, but perhaps one of our readers has seen some article on the subject ? I was trying to visualise a small loudspeaker on top of the tree at that distance, estimate 5 watts ????? What do you lot think ?

Batch 14 May 12

In town = louder, higher frequency and less varied than in country.

Reason - to overcome background noise in town.

Source: Latest Eureka magazine (that comes with The Times once a month)

Blackhat 14 May 12

You might do better on the Birdforum. 626 thread results with the key word Volume.

The Birdforum

Aitchbee 14 May 12

Blackhat - that's a great website...I have just joined up!

Blackhat 14 May 12

For some reason the link has changed since I posted. Here is the forum home page.

Birdforum

bob. 14 May 12

For some reason the link has changed since I posted.

Is that because AitchBEE joined or just coincidence? ;-)

Aitchbee 14 May 12

You're a wee cheeky devil, bob.

buteman 14 May 12

Have to agree it is nice to hear the birds singing, but do wish they would have a long lie some mornings

Condom 14 May 12

We have a wren nesting in the clemitas below our bedroom window and there are many a morning when I could so easily pick up a shotgun. For such a tiny bird it sure gives off some volume and is a bit like AitchBee in that is seldom shuts up:-))

Aitchbee 14 May 12

The blackbird that does matinee and evening performances at the back of my flat is a most welcome 'busker'.

octal 14 May 12

Surely the birdsong should be measured in dbA/Metre?

Advertisement

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Should I upgrade to Windows 10? 8 reasons why you should upgrade to Windows 10... and 2 why you…

We are being sold the ability to spend money we don't have. And we love it

Microsoft claims its new VR lens system is better than Oculus Rift's

Apple Music preview: Why Spotify should be scared of Apple's impressive new music-streaming service

We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message