The Big wind up- trades people- who do not

jack 09:53 10 Oct 09

Come when they say they will.
Nor contact to apologies or make a new time.

Gas fire acting up- look for suitable Gas Safe person.
Google for such in my area.
It seems there are many web addresses of groups of plumbers.
Try two- both addresses returned as undeliverable
OK- dud web sites.
One did workbut Email me explaining they were gas fitters not appliance engineers
So look for such - still dud websites with bouncing addresses
Pick an inividualwith an address near by.
left a message on answer phone
He phoned in evening - took details.
Promised to attend next day after 3pm

No show -no contact.
I'll not be phoning him to find out why- stuff em.
Will try to fix it my self.
Would I be right in assuming this gas regulation system is not working?

dagbladet 11:01 10 Oct 09

Understand your frustrations fella, but do you really want to be bodging a gas fire yourself?

GANDALF <|:-)> 11:11 10 Oct 09

I thought that it was illegal for an unqualified person to work on any gas appliance?
As to reliability of trades people, I use a group of Eastern European builders for everything; they are never late, work from 0800 to 1800 mon. to sat., have a 20 min lunch break and do not disappear to Focus at frequent intervals to get items that they have 'forgotten'. from bitter experience I would never use UK builders.

G

birdface 11:13 10 Oct 09

Have you not got any neighbors or friends that have had repairs done and can recommend someone.
Normally a good recommendation is better than picking someone that is not known.

Spark6 11:46 10 Oct 09

Yellow pages!

Noldi 11:55 10 Oct 09

Word and mouth has to be the best way ask friends etc. I found a bathroom fitter via the Internet that I would not recommend again.
Somebody has recommended me a builder for my new extension, the plumber is recommended by him. Electrician is my brother in-law.

Noldi

jakimo 12:05 10 Oct 09

Your gas fitter must be registered "Gas Safe" if not and you had a gas explosion your house insurance wouldn't pay out

click here

jack 12:53 10 Oct 09

As I descended the stair to unearth my favourite 'Fix it all tool' -a 7lb club hammer- the phone rang
The man- The job he was on took for ever- sorry about that but free now- OK said me - he was at the door in 2 minutes - He lives in the next road.-
Told him the tale - a prod a rattle -a blast with an air can- and bingo - all go - Well that didn't take long i said -
He said Think you were nearly there yourself - give us a fiver.
Rant over- perhaps I will make a note of his phone number.

Gandalf
Eastern Europeans - yer right - I had a Muscovite install my bathroom - golly how he worked- 10 hour days-then he had to travel home on public trasport from Kent to North London taking 3 hours or so.- Having driven him part of the way one evening - invited him to stop over - best move I did.
During his few ciggy/coffee breaks we swapped national service tales of him in the Red army in 50 below Siberia and me in the arctic with the RN chasing Russian submarines [or were they chasing me?]

Woolwell 17:00 10 Oct 09

It used to be Corgi but now it is gas safe. Not all gas engineers are qualified on all types of appliances/boilers. jakimo has pointed out the gas safe register but by using the advanced search you can find an appropriate engineer click here.
However this doesn't tell you how good they are. I know of one registered person who I wouldn't let near my system.
Word of mouth is normally the best way of finding gas fitters but also have a look at adverts in church/parish magazine which is where I found the best and cheapest plumber.

BT 17:09 10 Oct 09

As you say recommendation is the best policy. I'm lucky in that I have a neighbour who seems to know everybody, and if I want a tradesman he can usually recommend someone to do the job. He himself is in carpets and flooring and did my conservatory floor for me within days of asking.

He also put me in touch with someone to sort out my Central Heating when the 3 way valve started playing up. He re-plumbed the valve arrangement in the modern configuration, fitted new controls, and flushed out the system, all in a single morning, while his mate serviced the boiler and gas fire.

The man from Siemans came to change my gas meter last week. He was booked for a morning appointment and came at 9am and was done in about 20 mins.

spuds 20:57 10 Oct 09

Having used a yellow pages emergency services plumber a number of years ago (leaking hot water cylinder)), and being charged 'well over the odds' including 'getting parts'. I decided to include future household repair problems into the home insurance cover. Best move ever.

You could also try your utility company, because most of them keep some sort of an 'approved' list of trades people in your area.

Like Gandalf, I and my neighbours use to have the services of a Polish team of workers for various tasks of property repairs etc. They have now returned to Poland, mainly due to bad payers and 'moaners' who wanted work doing for nothing. Which is more the pity, because they were all very good and extremely reliable. Not like some English workman that I can mention.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation techniques

How to mine Bitcoin on Mac