Big moth or what!

Blackhat 21:08 12 Aug 07

Early hours of yesterday, about 1.00am, I heard a rattling agains my window. When I drew back the curtain I took a quick step back. After composing myself I got a couple of pics.

click here

click here

I have identified it as a swallowtail moth, one of the largest in the UK.

Iv'e seen some moths in my time but this one took me by suprise.

Anyone else getting nocturnal visits of an unusual nature, by the way the info on this moth says that it is only emergent for a short period in July.

click here=

Brumas 21:11 12 Aug 07

That wasn't a moth,it was a blinking hang glider!!

octal 21:16 12 Aug 07

Beautiful, one of my cats bought one in the other day, she didn't kill it, I carefully caught it and let it go again outside.

hzhzhzhz 21:28 12 Aug 07

A few weeks back I came home to an emperor moth on the windowsill.click here

Bingalau 21:51 12 Aug 07

How about this one which I caught in my garden in Singapore way back in 1962. It nearly took off with me in tow. No idea what make it was but as Brumas mentions it felt like a hang glider. I only held it long enough for my wife to take the picture. Hope it comes through.

click here

Bingalau 21:55 12 Aug 07

Sorry Blackhat, I wasn't trying to do a "My blackcat is blacker than your blackcat" It just brought back some good memories to me when I saw your thread.

Blackhat 22:42 12 Aug 07

You must be the most courteous member on this forum, post away. It is such additions as yours, to threads that can often turn the most innocuous of topics into a frenzy of discussion.

hzhzhzhz, that is a great pic.

Bingalau 22:51 12 Aug 07

I'm wondering if anyone can identify it? I know the picture is not all that clear. But Brumas can get his postcards identified and people on here do know about these things. I'm sure the FE will have spotted these when he was out that way.

hssutton 22:54 12 Aug 07

well these moths make the one I photographed the other night look very puny indeed. I was out looking for butterflies when this moth settled on my left hand, which is very fortunate as my camera was in the right hand click here

Forum Editor 22:55 12 Aug 07

You had caught an Atlas moth. I once saw one flitting around a light in the gardens of my hotel. It's the world's largest moth.

Brumas 22:58 12 Aug 07

It looks like an atlas moth to me, they have a wingspan of 10 inches!!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Here's what should be coming to Adobe Project Felix in 2017

Apple AirPods review: Apple's beautiful new Bluetooth headphones bring true intelligence to…