Big cat's confirmed?

donki 13:33 07 Jan 09

click here

I don't know if these "Government officials" are just trying to grab a headline, but its an
intresting read. It has never surprised me that there could be big cats roaming our vast forrests and countryside. Alot of big cats such as the leapord, puma, lynx etc are notoriusly hard to find even in their natural habitat. What you think? Maybe its just a well fed oversized moggy.

Stuartli 15:34 07 Jan 09

According to your thread title there's only one big cat perhaps roaming free....:-)

spuds 15:48 07 Jan 09

Wait for it, we are about to be bombarded by 'never in a month of Sundays' brigade :O(

Forum Editor 17:04 07 Jan 09

is that anything can roam wild in an island the size of ours without being spotted at least once a week by some walker or driver.

If we have wild pumas it wouldn't surprise me, but I'm almost willing to bet that we don't have wild leopards - a cat that size needs a lot of meat, and if they were living in the wild I think we would all know about it.

Noldi 17:23 07 Jan 09

I agree that if they where around they would be spotted. Look what happened to JJ3 the bear roaming around Switzerland last year he got shot. And all he did was stuck his head in some womens dustbin.

Noldi

laurie53 19:29 07 Jan 09

As I have said before, how come these big cats never leave any identifiable droppings?

robgf 10:24 08 Jan 09

I wouldn't be surprised if there were big cats roaming around our woods.
The reason animals aren't spotted by the vast majority of people, is because the people are so noisy, they are in a car, on a motorbike, using their ipod, mobile phone, etc. So any animal is long gone by the time most people arrive.

I cycle and walk a lot and in the hardly wild countryside of Northamptonshire, have seen numerous muntjac deer, a couple of full size red deer (standing in the middle of the road).
I met a surprisingly large fox one night, who looked at me with disdain and passed by on the far side of the path.
I also encountered the biggest snake I had ever seen in September. It was probably an adder, but I'm no expert, it was easily three foot long.

So the wildlife is out there, you just need to slow down and be quiet, to see it.
You might even meet a tiger, so take a friend along, who cant run as fast as you :) .

Barnacarry 14:32 08 Jan 09

laurie53 - they're probably using the same method as the local moggies and burying them in someones garden. Now there's a thought!

donki 15:58 08 Jan 09

I wasn't saying I believe the stories just trying to open my mind to the idea.

I must apologise for the cat's/ cat thing I am aware of the differenct it was a typo lol.

Seth Haniel 16:13 08 Jan 09

two years ago... As I had never seen one - and in my fifty years plus I have travelled extensivly - there were blurry photos of the said beast - but we all know photos can be faked - and the dead lumps of meat at the side of the road must have been large rabbits painted black & white
Even now the evidence doesn't convince me that Badgers exist as out of the three sightings in the past two years - all were at night and only one was black & white - the other two being a browny/black.

Maybe they are all in hiding from all the big cats roaming the countryside ;)

robgf 19:33 08 Jan 09

A good point Seth. I've never seen a badger either.
A documentary for BBC: Badgers, fact, or fiction?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

New Corel ParticleShop plugin now available: 11 new brushes & 6 new brush packs

Apple AirPods review: Apple's beautiful new Bluetooth headphones bring true intelligence to…