Bid to ban smoking in cars

24/7 13:13 07 Oct 08

Sometime last year on PCA i replied to a thread about the smoking ban & someon stated in jest "Next they'l be banning smoking in cars"...dont know who he/she was but your on the right track..

click here

Found it!!

click here

Seth Haniel 13:24 07 Oct 08

years back a lad I worked with gave me a lift - not only did he smoke - but he actually rolled his own while balancing the steering wheel with his little fingers -

Si_L 13:26 07 Oct 08

Hope this goes through. When I was younger we had a family car, and the previous owner was a chain smoker. We tried everything to get rid of the smell. 4 years later when we were selling it, you could still smell the smoke, especially on a hot day.

Si_L 13:29 07 Oct 08

The other point to mention, despite the anti-legislation groups saying: "There's simply no evidence that smoking in cars is a serious distraction and causes accidents. I think this is part of the war on tobacco and I think it would be difficult to enforce." Smoking is a distraction, it also requires you to take your hand of the steering wheel for a few seconds, its beyond me that these groups know this and still think it doesn't pose a risk to the driver/passengers and other road users.

Cymro. 13:33 07 Oct 08

they have more than enough problems trying to stop people using mobile phones when driving.

Jak_1 13:38 07 Oct 08

If you don't like someone smoking in their car, then do not get into it in the first place!

Marko797 13:45 07 Oct 08

In compiling this research, didn't any of the cars have functional electric or manual windows in them, then?

Jak_1 13:55 07 Oct 08

" Smoking is a distraction, it also requires you to take your hand of the steering wheel for a few seconds, its beyond me that these groups know this and still think it doesn't pose a risk to the driver/passengers and other road users."

So does changing the radio channel or the cd/dvd as does re-adjusting the rearview mirror that a passenger has knocked out of line! And changing gear on a manual car. I take it Si_L that you keep both hands on the wheel whilst driving at all times from start to finish of your journey!

ventanas 14:03 07 Oct 08

The sooner the better, it's an obvious distraction and therefore a danger to the smoker, and more importantly, to others.

In fact ban it everywhere, an obnoxious habit. And I smoked for more than 40 years.

MAJ 14:07 07 Oct 08

"And I smoked for more than 40 years."

Ahhhhh. one of those, ventanas. ;)

lofty29 14:08 07 Oct 08

Here we go again, the anti-smoking brigade vs the smokers,why not demand the death penalty for smokers that would solve the problem once and for all. I do not know of any other minority group who comes in for so much vilification, smokers seem today to be real criminals, I saw somwhere a suggestion that smoking should be banned in ones own house if there were children present. If I go to someonelses home, or car then I obey their rules if they come to mine then my rules apply, otherwise do not come. Yes you've guessed it I am a smoker, but remember I contribute on average a lot more to the exchquer than non-smokers and I am going to die earlier so I will not take so much out

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Here's what should be coming to Adobe Project Felix in 2017

Apple AirPods review: Apple's beautiful new Bluetooth headphones bring true intelligence to…