beware of your payments

ronalddonald 06:58 29 Jul 10

click here

from your debit cards and credit cards

daytimers82 09:26 30 Jul 10

interesting article thanks for letting us know

QuizMan 09:50 30 Jul 10

Direct debits have their drawbacks too, but at least customers can cancel them through their bank in the sure knowledge that payments cannot be taken from their account thereafter. Personally, I refuse to sign up to anything that takes regular money via card payment.

Al94 11:40 30 Jul 10

"but at least customers can cancel them through their bank in the sure knowledge that payments cannot be taken from their account thereafter"

Not so. That applies to standing orders - not direct debits. You have to instruct the originator to cancel the direct debit. You should, at the same time advise the bank in writing but if the originator continues to take the money from your account, the bank will not stop the payment.

Should that happen, provided you have informed the bank in writing, they will be able to claim back the money from the originator on your behalf under the Direct Debit Indemnity Scheme.

daytimers82 15:17 30 Jul 10

thanks A194 and you too Quizman i think more people need to be aware that you could lose money through direct debits if you cant find out whose taking the money as in the link above.

daytimers82 15:18 30 Jul 10

I need to be more prudent myself in such matters.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Hands-on: Samsung Galaxy S8 review

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Samsung's beautifully designed Galaxy S8 makes for better VR experiences too

47 iPhone camera tips to help you take better photos