Beware, an 'evil twin' could be near you.

TOPCAT® 14:30 20 Jan 05

This scam was on the cards from the day wi-fi was announced I reckon. TC.

"Cybercriminals who try to glean personal information using the scam, jam connections to a legitimate base station by sending a stronger signal near to the wireless client..."

click here

Forum Editor 17:58 20 Jan 05

the one question I'm asked more than any other when visiting my clients at the moment is: "What can I/we do to make my/our wireless network secure?"

It seems that almost overnight there are wireless networks everywhere - I must have set up a couple of dozen or more over the past year - and the honeymoon's well and truly over. Criminals will exploit any niche, and there's a whopper of a niche when it comes to WiFi networks. Hotspots are never going to be truly secure, and anyone who logs into his/her bank account from their lappy in the middle of a busy shopping centre might as well write their username/password on a placard for all to see.

S5W 20:24 20 Jan 05

FE, that is a very pessimistic post. I am in the throes of changing to wi-fi and understand the drawbacks, but surely there are or soon will be ways to stymie the evil twins. There has always been a newly developed defence against all weapons, I doubt if this problem will prove to be unique.

georgemac 21:11 20 Jan 05

OK I understand why hot spots are not secure, but surely a wirelesss network in my house with WEP set up and a unique SSID name is as secure as it gets?

Or should I be worried - I have one, have set one up for a mate and am about to set up another next week for another friend.

Gaz 25 23:05 20 Jan 05

as long as you have WEP or WPA and SSID / SSID stealthing, client side firewalls and Mac Address filtering.

Corporate networks should employ 802.1x authentication too, but this requires a radius server.

Anyhows, the flaws are if you walk into a shopping centre and use WiFi, then yes... you have a much higher chance.

My WiFi router has a signal strength level, turn this down and yuo can limit access from outside users.

Forum Editor 23:22 20 Jan 05

which are simply wireless networks by another name, and although you might think it pessimistic it is nevertheless true - no wireless hotspot can provide you with the level of security that you'll be able to achieve with your own home wireless network.

The point I was making - none too well by the look of it - was that the Evil twin thing was more or less inevitable, given the environment in which wireless hotspots operate. Take the precautions that are readily available and your home network will be pretty secure. It can't ever be totally secure, but neither can any other type of computer network.

Kate B 23:35 20 Jan 05

Trouble is, it's so damn fiddly to set up the blimmin' security. I had a woeful time last Saturday: I wanted to enable mac address filtering and I ended up locking myself out of my own router cos the &^%$ software was so unhelpful. It took me all blinking afternoon to get myself up and running again - and I still haven't screwed up the courage to have another go, never mind enabling WEP. Can't use WPA because one of my machines doesn't support it ...

jerichobob 16:09 21 Jan 05

I must admit that I didn't have too many problems setting up my home network and enabling the security measures - ONCE I HAD READ THE INSTRUCTIONS!!!!!!! But then I am a gormless buffoon. I spent a fruitless 3 hours thinking I'd broken everything until I discovered the truth. And I could have saved myself a headache if I had realised that there is a reset button on the router. Suppose that's blokes for you then?

I believe the leaflet which tells me that I'm secure due to my WEP, Firewall, AV Software, Adware, etc. Problem is that if someone is going to hack in they'll do it. Mind you they'd have to put some money into my bank before they could use any of my cards. lol.

S5W 16:40 21 Jan 05

Point taken about non secure hotspots.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

iPhone 7 Plus review: better cameras and waterproofing make this the best iPhone yet

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Apple to launch new Macs and MacBook Pros at an event on October 27

iPhone vs Android | iOS vs Android: 5 reasons why Apple's iPhones beat Google Android smartphones ()…