beware of bogus police

finerty 20:50 PM 21 Jun 12

Bogus Police

Have a good time during the Olympics but bewware of bogus police who try to get £ out of you

ams4127 22:16 PM 21 Jun 12

So, while you are waiting for the late arrival of the overcrowded bus/train for which you are going to be charged a small fortune, you'll get nicked and fined by bogus policemen as well.

So very glad I will be many thousands of miles away sinking a few tinnies with some old mates!

Forum Editor 23:13 PM 21 Jun 12

I would imagine that it might not break the bank to erect prominent signboards at all points of entry, written in various languages:-

British Police officers will not ask you for payments of any kind, do not pay any money to someone who tells you he/she is a Police Officer.

woody 23:37 PM 21 Jun 12

"it might not break the bank to erect prominent signboards at all points of entry, written in various languages"

I do not know how many points of entry there are but i do know London is expecting a few people from the World . Europe has circa>200 languages and worldwide any ones guess 2000 to 7000. Not cheap (billboard/printing)even if you limit it to the languages currently used in London and that also presumes they can read.

Forum Editor 23:52 PM 21 Jun 12

Europe has circa>200 languages and worldwide any ones guess 2000 to 7000.

The most widely spoken languages in the world are:-

Mandarin Chinese, English, Spanish, Hindi, Arabic, Bengali, Russian, Portuguese, Japanese, German and French.

That ought to do it - almost everyone will speak and/or understand a little of at least one of those.

spuds 23:55 PM 21 Jun 12

Its not unknown for people who are not familiar with UK law to offer a policeman, pcso or parking attendant/traffic warden payment, if they think that they have done wrong. So I suppose this is just an addition of that, which criminals have cottoned onto, especially if you produce 'identification of authority'?.

woody 01:19 AM 22 Jun 12

You suggest Eleven most widely spoken languages in the world - but we are discussing London - one of the most dense in the world.

You may be correct but i note some Gov bodies quote "translated material into 120 languages."End quote. London spends the most but i could not find out how many languages.

spuds 12:39 PM 22 Jun 12

Our local council often boasts about providing information in many many languages, they even suggest that they have qualified translator's readily on hand.

Yet when a friend of mine requested that they conducted his business in Irish Gaelic, the staff called a security guard because he was requesting something that the council couldn't provide, and they then insisted that he was being abusive (arkward) about it :O)

I was a little surprised, considering we have a few generations of Irish in our midst, and many Irish traveller's staying or passing through?.

bremner 15:29 PM 22 Jun 12

spuds

Here in the South West the local police have offered to print information in Cornish - a first language for absolutely nobody and only spoken as an additional language by a few thousand at most.

canarieslover 17:07 PM 22 Jun 12

I would have thought that graphic illustration would be the way to go. A picture of an English bobby with a tourist trying to give him £20 and a big red cross through the £20. That should cover many languages at once.

spuds 17:56 PM 22 Jun 12

canarieslover

I recall putting up signs in Borneo in 1969. They simple showed a man aiming a rifle with a black puff image of smoke coming out of the barrel, and a person in front falling to the ground.

No words were needed, the signs spoke for themselve.

Advertisement

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Sony Xperia Z5 vs Xperia Z5 Premium vs Xperia Z5 Compact: What's the difference between Sony's new ?…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Get $800 of free online Nuke and VRay rendering from Google Zync

iPhone 6S preview: What to expect from Apple's next iPhone