Better Off at Home

laurie53 06:23 13 Mar 09

Britain gives £10m aid a year to China

click here

China is worried about the billions of dollars it has loaned the US

click here paragraph 4.

I am no economist, but I have to say that this doesn't make sense to me.

I think that money would be better spent in the UK than the US.

Pine Man 09:58 13 Mar 09

'And Britain gets the kudos'

So what is the exchange rate on Kudos?

GANDALF <|:-)> 10:25 13 Mar 09

Absolutely fantastic, I will pay my next Waitrose bill with kudos and see what the till operator says. /eyes raise.

Pine Man 12:42 13 Mar 09

That humour by-pass worked then;-))

peter99co 13:24 13 Mar 09

Liberia's population is very similar to China's

Is it? In what way?

Pine Man 13:26 13 Mar 09

Now I'm a victim of collateral damage in your ongoing war against the sniper?

GANDALF <|:-)> 13:50 13 Mar 09

'I take it from the tone of your respones (sic) that you will not be making any contribution to Comic Relief'....your imagination that evolves from one sentence deserves framing. Reading so much from so little is amazing. I worked as a part-time volunteer at a Church Army Hostel (I am not religious in any shape or form) for 7 years..much harder than middle class apologists salving their consciences by doling out money when called for or when they are made to feel terribly guilty. You are a too easy target for any sniper firing ridiculous, superficial or pomposity bullets. /yawn

G

GANDALF <|:-)> 15:41 13 Mar 09

'One has to ask why you worked as a volunteer for the Church Army when the Christian church is exceedingly wealthy?'..errrmmm because I wanted to help the people in there. I lived within a few miles of the place at the time so I spent a lot of spare time there. Of course you do know that last year they spent 91% of their expenditure on charitable activities and they errrrmmm are a charity. I did not check their financial statements prior to giving free help (which you must have done, even though they are a charity, to write knowledgeably about their wealth) Sometimes the obvious answers are the most difficult to see if one is slightly confused and altruism is important to some people however it probably does answer your theory about my capacity to donate..

'You make my point for me. Thank you'..you have completely lost me like you have lost yourself in supposition although your use of circular logic would deserve a paper of it's own. On the bright side, I am saving a fortune by not needing to have my sights calibrated for very easy targets.

G

sunnystaines 17:30 13 Mar 09

we give cash to everyone else almost so why not include china.

our aid needs an overhaul with our tight budget and only give to good causes not to false projects that line dictators pockets to keep them sweet.

Forum Editor 18:43 13 Mar 09

and China looks at the list of nations that provide aid I would want our country to be on it. There are markets for us in China, and those who understand the Chinese mind know that we'll stand a better chance of getting business there if we are seen to be providing help of some kind. China may be an increasingly wealthy nation in some ways, but it badly needs goods and services from other countries.

If I had any say in the matter our aid payments to China would continue - at least for the next ten years or so.

laurie53 19:49 13 Mar 09

"This thread is about whether Britain should continue to provide aid to China given how wealthy China is."

No it isn't, or it wasn't meant to be.

It's about whether Britain should continue to provide aid to China so that they can lend it to the United States.

We should cut out the middleman and lend it directly to the US ourselves.

At least that way we'll get the interest, not China!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Hands-on: Samsung Galaxy S8 review

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Samsung's beautifully designed Galaxy S8 makes for better VR experiences too

47 iPhone camera tips to help you take better photos