Best way to clean badly tarnished silver candlesticks

Brumas 14:45 PM 06 Jan 13
Answered

Using baking soda, boiling water and tinfoil is advocated on many of the searches I have made but it sounds rather harsh! Have any forum members tried this rather drastic approach or have you a better, safer way to restore these back to their original splendour?

click here click here

wiz-king 15:23 PM 06 Jan 13

Goddards silver dip has been around for years and should be available in hardware stores.

Who hasn't been doing their housework lately! It was a monthly job when I used for visit my dear MIL.

Brumas 15:28 PM 06 Jan 13

wiz-king I hold my hand up, I haven't cleaned them for ages hence the plea ;o}

Bing.alau 17:01 PM 06 Jan 13

Brumas. I think it may depend on whether the candlesticks are solid silver or plated. I imagine if they are solid silver they could be cleaned with any old silver polish. But silver plate will surely wear off with polishing. That's my theory anyway. As wiz-king has already said I used to use use Goddard's Silver Dip for my silver plated stuff. All now sadly gone to charity shops. Never able to afford anything solid silver.

Brumas 17:50 PM 06 Jan 13

Bing.alau they are solid silver with 1933 London hallmarks, they were Fran's parents who gave them to us many moons ago as a wedding present.

I make a half-hearted attempt at cleaning them now and again but it is a job I don't like and aways find an excuse to leave them 'just a little longer' but I shall be given my marching orders if I leave them much longer!!

VCR97 17:59 PM 06 Jan 13

Jeweller's rouge.

Aitchbee 18:16 PM 06 Jan 13

One of those small, mains-powered, hand held steamer gizmos that can point a powerful concentrated jet of steam [to a variety of dirty surfaces],plus plenty of 'elbow grease', might do the trick. It might take for ages though!

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 18:43 PM 06 Jan 13

Sodium Carbonate Decahydrate Na2CO3.10H2O + Al

To clean solid silver line a plastic bowl with aluminium foil, shiny side up. (other side has a thin coating of Aluminium oxide due to contact with the air)

Add a cup full of soda crystals in the bowl and enough hot water to cover the items.

Using rubber gloves, drop in the cutlery wait a couple of minutes the silver oxide will react with the aluminium foil and soda crystals and the item will brighten up as the oxygen is removed from the silver oxide no silver is lost from the item.

Sodium and aluminium is more reactive than silver it will therefore steal the oxygen from the silver oxide.

Remove item and rinse off the remaining soda under a warm water.

Polish up with a cloth.

Should have watched the Christmas lectures (last one) :0)

sunnypete 18:51 PM 06 Jan 13

I too have used the baking soda/aluminium foil method on some small solid silver items several years ago, I see they are just beginning to tarnish again, shall have to repeat...

Bing.alau 19:15 PM 06 Jan 13

I respectfully suggest that Goddard's Silver Dip has got to be an easier method of doing it.

morddwyd 19:29 PM 06 Jan 13

Tell the maid to do it.

Advertisement

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get free stuff for Android: Amazon Underground offers genuinely free Android apps and free…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

MIT builds an awesome 3D printer that can use 10 materials at once

What to expect at the September Apple event: Apple announces 9 September event, sends out invites