Best mobile phone manufacturer?

SG Atlantis® 20:02 03 Jan 06

A poll if you like.

Nokia is my favourite for ease of use, general reliability and compatibilty although they do have quirks like uneven keypad lights and buggy firmware now and again. But generally they are the most reliable I've found.

What's yours?

pauldonovan 20:25 03 Jan 06

I have always had good experiences with Nokia - particularly for texting/predective texting.

That was until they started using Series 60 (I think it is called - like the 6600) which was slow and clunky generally.

I switched to Motorola and the user interface is nowhere near as good particularly for Texting as the Nokias, however their phones like the RAZR and now the Pink RAZR seem to have the 'wow' factor and everyone wants one.

Given the choice for work i'd almost certainly choose Nokia - that is why I think you saw those grey and gold bricks being carried around for years - they just worked and worked well and did what they were bought for - a phone.

SG Atlantis® 20:34 03 Jan 06

I have to agree I prefer series 40 to the series 60 (symbian) firmware.

I don't think motorola designs are that great.

Looking at the razr it has measely fixed 5mb storage. Not much ya can do with that! It's extremely broad and hard to text on too with those flat metallic buttons.

Plus I read a review a while back that stated that Motorola is most likely to fail out of all mfrs!

Skills 22:16 03 Jan 06

I like Nokias but for the last year Ive had a siemens phone which has served me really well. I also dislike Motorolas, my next phone will probably be back to a nokia again you just cant beat them for ease of use.

polish 22:59 03 Jan 06

i have a samsung d500 it is the best phone i have ever had and gets some hammer due to my job well built with a decent battery life and only upgraded due to being bluetooth so would not have found how good they are otherwise

Dizzy Bob 09:14 04 Jan 06

i-mate have a few phone/pda hybrids that I think are fantastic. My i-mate jam (branded as a t-mobile mda compact) is my phone, my pda, my mp3 player, my satnav, my diary, my games console, all in a package small enough to go in my shirt pocket. Oh did i mention, it also makes phone calls :-)

click here

for some of the range

DB

rmcqua 13:09 04 Jan 06

I used to work with all the major manufacturers in their R&D and manufacturing environments. Nokia and Motorola for me, pretty much equally matched (looks like I agree with pauldonovan on this).

pauldonovan 13:13 04 Jan 06

Because texting is fairly important to me...

rmcqua 13:56 04 Jan 06

yes, I can understand why that would tip the balance.
Thinking of Nokia reminds me of the frigid times I used to spend in Helsinki at this time of year!

SG Atlantis® 14:53 04 Jan 06

dizzy bob.

which network do they use?

Dizzy Bob 17:47 04 Jan 06

They are SIM free, so will work with any network.

If you get it through T-Mobile on contract (as the MDA Compact), the handset is significantly cheaper (obviously a 12 month contract applies.

I actually got my handset for nothing, but I am on quite a high monthly tariff as I use the phone for business calls.

DB

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Hands-on with the Star Wars fighting drones you can fly yourself

15 macOS Sierra tips | How to use macOS Sierra: Secret tricks and best new features in Apple's new…