Best of a Bad Bunch

morddwyd 07:15 06 Oct 09

A current poll suggests that that the current Conservative lead is due to Labour dissatisfaction rather than support for Tory policies.

click here+'anti-Labour,+not+pro-Tory'.aspx

This is the danger of a virtually two party system of course, and is arguably a poor basis on which to elect a new government.

Picklefactory 07:27 06 Oct 09

For years, I've been voting for the party that I feel will do the least damage. I have absolutely zero confidence in any of the partys having the moral fibre, the intelligence, courage and determination to make serious improvements in many of the most serious areas.

Best of a bad bunch is exactly right in my opinion.

zzzz999 07:29 06 Oct 09

Maybe a hung parliament is what is needed (no jokes please) force the sods to properly debate matters and stop giving us bad law

Quickbeam 07:55 06 Oct 09

The old adage about not winning an election, but the incumbent losing the election holds very true.

Quickbeam 08:43 06 Oct 09

But isn't the PR system advocated by the LibDems (single transferable vote) designed to avoid the failings of the Israeli and Italian models?

ened 08:46 06 Oct 09

I confess I don't know much about the different systems being offered. What I do know is a system of PR is the only way the Liberal Dimocrats will achieve any power in the foreseeable future.

interzone55 09:00 06 Oct 09

I had to turn BBC Breakfast off this morning while "Dave" was prattling on and not answering Sian's questions about pension age changes, it's clear that they've not thought this through properly and hadn't realised that their new policy to pull the male age increase forward by 10 years impacted on the stepped increase in women's age increase.

I also had to turn the TV off again when Sir Terry Lehey was denying everything that the business guy said - he should be a politician. I have no idea how he thinks that having towns where 75% of consumer spending goes into Tescos tills means consumers get MORE choice...

Quickbeam 09:03 06 Oct 09

click here & click here

These countries don't have an election every year or so, and we used it in our recent Mayoral elections without the voting public becoming dazed and confused...

Grey Goo 09:46 06 Oct 09

In a nation that would rather watch "Reality TV" than do something useful, you cannot be surprised that a photograph of Dr.Crippen may be identified as a leading politician.

Quickbeam 09:54 06 Oct 09

"...the present, flawed system.", is exactly that.

Majority governments with way less than a 50% share of the vote can leave 60+% of the electorate totally unrepresented. Your claim that we could have a government in which "87% people don't get what they wanted.", is a tad misleading, as with STV the 13% LibDem vote would have transferred their 13% 1st choice in support of their second choice, which makes the number of people without any choice of government representation much less than the simple first choice figure.

Toneman 10:18 06 Oct 09

That's the point. The present government was elected by a minority of the electorate...30% or so? and the PM by no one...well,almost...

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is ransomware and how do I protect my PC from WannaCry?

What I learned from my mentor, Oscar-winning VFX supervisor Phil Tippett

Siri vs Google Assistant