Benefits of sun 'may outweigh the risks'

carver 08:19 AM 08 May 13

So maybe this week it's safe to go outside again enter link description here (until next week) when it will be bad for you again.

morddwyd 08:57 AM 08 May 13

The main reason that sunlight is bad for you is that it induces people to light barbeques and play loud music in the garden, thereby increasing stress levels dangerously.

Chronos the 2nd 09:01 AM 08 May 13

The great thing these days about scientific statements is that if you wait long enough another will come along to say the opposite or at least something different.

onthelimit1 09:01 AM 08 May 13

I'm due in to have my 5th melanoma removed caused, probably, by 6 mths of sun in Belize in the 80s. Suncream? Nah - just coconut oil!

wee eddie 09:28 AM 08 May 13

To my mind, baking yourself in the sun until your skin peels off is likely to be bad for you.

Living a life in the open air, not necessarily covered from head to toe and taking a siesta, in the shade, during the hottest part of the day is likely to be mostly beneficial to you.

Melanomas are a risk for all of us, do they not happen to those that never go out into the sunshine?

carver 09:29 AM 08 May 13

onthelimit1 are you sure the natives weren't trying to cook you, liberal dash of coconut oil, then please step into this oven.

And cries of " you will be done to a turn"

enter link description here

Quickbeam 09:33 AM 08 May 13

I've never been a sun worshipper, sitting in the dappled shade of a tree is as near to sun bathing as I go.

carver 09:44 AM 08 May 13

wee eddie it is possible to get skin cancer without going in the sun, it's rare but possible.

carver 09:46 AM 08 May 13

Quickbeam that's all well and good but what's in that glass your drinking, hope it's not cheap booze from the supermarket.

Quickbeam 09:49 AM 08 May 13

We used to have a neighbour with severe skin cancer and also one of his sons had inherited it. I remember as a 5/6 year old he had permanently red and flaking skin. Both died in their early '30s.

Quickbeam 09:50 AM 08 May 13

carver I don't do meths these days...

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Microsoft Surface Pro 4 review: Hands-on with the new generation of Surface

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Crowdfunding for world’s first 3D camera-computer found in 30 hours

2015 iMac release date rumours, specs, price & features: new 21in 4K Retina iMacs coming next week